Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2005/01/26 12:52:22 UTC

javac: target release 1.1 conflicts with default source release 1.5

Hi,

after I've been watching the JDK 1.5 builds of Gump for weeks now,
I've pretty much given up the hope that projects are going to adapt
the build files to JDK 1.5 soon.  Xalan's build breaks because they
only specify the target attribute and quite a few others do so as
well.  (as a sidenote, Xalan's XSLT is supposed to be part of JDK 1.5,
I find it slightly amusing that you can't build it with it).

Finally I've come to the conclusion that Ant should take care of it.
I therefore propose the following:

IF

* we are going to use JDK 1.5 for compiling

* _and_ -target has been specified

* _and_ -target is smaller than 1.5

* _and_ -source has not been specified

THEN

* print a big fat warning telling people to specify the source
  attribute.

* implicitly set -source to the same value as -target.

Since we don't know what JDK 1.6's javac's default is going to be I'd
stick with handling the 1.5 case now.

Anybody against applying this magic?

Stefan

Re: javac: target release 1.1 conflicts with default source release 1.5

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> * implicitly set -source to the same value as -target.

didn't work as the current Gump run demonstrated.  -source 1.1 is not
supported.  So the logic becomes

* implicitly set -source to the same value as -target, unless it is
  1.1 in which case we use 1.2 as value.

> Anybody against applying this magic?

I have committed it to CVS HEAD and intend to document/merge it later
this week.  It should be trivial to revert if you don't like the idea.

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.
Excelent!

Peter