Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniele Imbrogino <d....@gmail.com> on 2012/12/17 17:37:53 UTC

[users@httpd] How does 'rotatelogs' work?

Hi everybody.

I'm using Apache 2.4.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm trying to use `rotatelogs`
with the following directive

    CustomLog "|/usr/local/apache2/bin/rotatelogs
logs/logrotation/access_log.%Y.%m.%d.%M.%S 10" common

where I set an interval of 10 seconds just to understand if the program
works.

As I understand, this allows to rotate log every 10 seconds, right?

But there are not log files saved in the specified folder.

Why?

Re: [users@httpd] How does 'rotatelogs' work?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Daniele Imbrogino
<d....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I'm using Apache 2.4.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm trying to use `rotatelogs`
> with the following directive
>
>     CustomLog "|/usr/local/apache2/bin/rotatelogs
> logs/logrotation/access_log.%Y.%m.%d.%M.%S 10" common
>
> where I set an interval of 10 seconds just to understand if the program
> works.
>
> As I understand, this allows to rotate log every 10 seconds, right?
>
> But there are not log files saved in the specified folder.
>
> Why?

It only wakes up to check the interval when a log entry is written

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com