Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/02 10:54:06 UTC

How to enable Native Memory Tracking(NMT) in Tomcat?

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. :)

Environment:
Java Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM version 25.91-b15
(Java version 1.8.0_91-b15)
Tomcat Version: Tomcat 8.0.20
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise

I am trying to enable Native Memory Tracking(NMT) to get internal
memory usage deatils about Tomcat process which is running on my
system. I have added following flags to Tomcat's Java options:
-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:NativeMemoryTracking=summary
-XX:NativeMemoryTracking=detail

After that I restarted Tomcat. When I tried to use "VM.native_memory"
command either from JCMD or JMC, I am getting "Native memory tracking
is not enabled" message. When I shutdown Tomcat, following message is
getting printed on STDERR log:
"Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Native Memory Tracking did
not setup properly, using wrong launcher?".

I found this article which discussed about NMT problem in custom JVM launcher:
https://blogs.oracle.com/poonam/entry/using_nmt_with_custom_jvm

My question is, does that stands true for Tomcat also? Is there any
other way to enable NMT in Tomcat?

Thanks!
Suvendu

Re: How to enable Native Memory Tracking(NMT) in Tomcat?

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
It worked, Mark! When I launched Tomcat from command line, it fired up
Bootstrap loader. Then JMC can print NMT statistics.

I believe tracking NMT is not a common need. Still, it would be
awesome if we can do the same thing with changes in Apache Commons
Daemon.

Thanks!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.