Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arshiya Shariff <ar...@ericsson.com.INVALID> on 2020/09/11 17:06:54 UTC

Track native memory of a Tomcat application

Hi All,
We have a standalone tomcat web application(Version 9.0.22) which runs on Linux . The application is used to process only  a single http request.
But the physical memory usage of the application has increased to 4GB (output from the "top" command of Linux) , of which the heap has only 16 MB of live data.
Is there a way to track the native memory of a tomcat process ?

Thanks and Regards
Arshiya Shariff

Re: AW: Track native memory of a Tomcat application

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Andreas,

On 9/14/20 05:03, Döscher, Andreas (ESI) wrote:
> Moin, ah! The no-xmx-mistake! If you ommit the memory limitation,
> java uses (on server-class machines) as default 1/4 of the
> physical memory. (I found this blog entry

https://blog.openj9.org/2020/04/30/default-java-maximum-heap-size-is-cha
nged-for-java-8/)

It's more complicated than that, but yes, Arshiya I believe what you are
seeing is completely normal. When there is no memory pressure, the GC
won't actually do anything for a loooong time. And you'll see the
maximum heap space used. Since you didn't pick a maximum heap space on
startup, the JVM picked a "reasonable" one for you. Its definition of
"reasonable" may not match yours. :)

Try adding this to whatever launches your JVM:

  -Xmx32M

That's usually enough to run Tomcat and an application that doesn't
need very much memory. I've been able to get an application to run in
12MiB before, but IIRC it required disabling a few things Tomcat does
out-of-the-box to fully-adhere to the servlet and other specifications.

- -chris

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Arshiya Shariff
> <ar...@ericsson.com.INVALID> Gesendet: Montag, 14.
> September 2020 10:17 An: Tomcat Users List
> <us...@tomcat.apache.org> Betreff: RE: Track native memory of a
> Tomcat application
>
> Hi All,
>
> Thank you for the response Christopher .
>
> * A single request, or a single *type* of request? A single
> request (http/https) that is hit once per day
>
> * Does it increase as the request is processed, or does the JVM
> take
that 4GiB immediately upon startup?
> The tomcat process was started 3 months back , but the memory has
increased gradually to 4GB though it does not process requests
continuously (one request per day).

> * The first thing to do would be to post the effective
> command-line
options that are being used when launching your JVM. One of the
easiest ways to do that is to run "ps | grep catalina" which will give
you the full command-line for the process.
> There is no Xmx set: ogw      30853  0.1  3.1 22048736 2068856 ? Sl
> Jun09 154:10
/opt/java//jdk1.8.0_201-amd64/bin/java
- -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/webstart//conf/logging.properties
- -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
- -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize=2048
- -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.catalina.webresources
- -Dorg.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener.UMASK=0027
- -Dorg.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.ALLOW_BACKSLASH=false
- -Dorg.apache.tomcat.util.buf.UDecoder.ALLOW_ENCODED_SLASH=false
- -Dorg.apache.coyote.USE_CUSTOM_STATUS_MSG_IN_HEADER=false
- -Dorg.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES=false
- -Dignore.endorsed.dirs= -classpath
/opt/webstart//bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/webstart//bin/tomcat-juli.jar
- -Dcatalina.base=/opt/webstart/ -Dcatalina.home=/opt/webstart/
- -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/webstart//temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

Posted by Döscher, "Andreas (ESI)" <an...@adp.com.INVALID>.
Moin,
ah! The no-xmx-mistake! If you ommit the memory limitation, java uses (on server-class machines) as default 1/4 of the physical memory.
(I found this blog entry https://blog.openj9.org/2020/04/30/default-java-maximum-heap-size-is-changed-for-java-8/)

Ciao,
  Andreas

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Track native memory of a Tomcat application

Posted by calder <ca...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 11, 2020, 12:07 Arshiya Shariff
<ar...@ericsson.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi All,
> We have a standalone tomcat web application(Version 9.0.22) which runs on
> Linux . The application is used to process only  a single http request.
> But the physical memory usage of the application has increased to 4GB
> (output from the "top" command of Linux) , of which the heap has only 16 MB
> of live data.
> Is there a way to track the native memory of a tomcat process ?

jvisualvm
jconsole
Java Mission Control