Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/03/27 11:44:31 UTC

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-avalon-logkit/src/java/org/apache/logLogEngine.java LogKit.javaLogger.java

At 11:53  26/3/01 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>Ok, so if you object to it so much, how come you went back and fixed it
>after I complained?

I don't object to it but I am not going to put pointless effort into
maintaining something that no one wants/needs/uses. The only it was put in
was because presumably you have a problem which requires it.

>Also, given that Velocity is known to use logkit, how about you take the
>time to make sure that Velocity still builds correctly against your changes?

Well
(a) I was under impression velocity was moving to log4j
(b) they never directly called the constructor
(c) if it had of broken them it would have taken a simple note to fix it
rather than screaming "bloody murder"

Cheers,

Pete

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-avalon-logkit/src/java/org/apache/logLogEngine.java LogKit.javaLogger.java

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/27/01 1:44 AM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> (a) I was under impression velocity was moving to log4j

Myself and Geir and Jason added support for the ability to plug in any
logging tool via a simple interface. Both LogKit and Log4J are both fully
supported.

> (b) they never directly called the constructor

Ok. That is something that I wanted you to confirm. However, how do you know
what other people's software is calling?

> (c) if it had of broken them it would have taken a simple note to fix it
> rather than screaming "bloody murder"

The point being that Sam has been quietly screaming bloody murder for the
last 3-4 months now and it still doesn't seem to be getting into anyone's
head. I'm not afraid to scream a bit louder. Eh? :-)

-jon