Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Nick Couchman <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/06/11 19:15:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] GUACAMOLE-102: Scope of Load Balancing Issue

Hello, everyone,Mike suggested throwing this out for discussion.  For history, you can read the JIRA GUACAMOLE-102 issue and see the back-and-forth there, but essentially we could use some input deciding what the scope of issue 102 should be.  A recent PR added a connection_weight field in the JDBC module that allows connections within groups to be weighted, and, thus, a Weighted Least Connection load balancing algorithm is now implemented (in place of the previous Least Connection method).
The question is, should the implementation of this weighting field close issue 102, or do we need to get closer to implementing a full-blown load balancer that, not only allows for weighting, but also provides a mechanism for calculating the weight based some calculation of available/used/total resources on a given system?  I pinged on the JIRA issue for feedback from Werner, but have not received anything, so opening it up here for other opinions.  My personal take is that the original request was asking for the full-blown solution, that not only provides the weighted balancing (implemented) but also polls the hosts for their resource utilization/availability.  The alternative is to close 102 and open a new JIRA Issue that deals specifically with the collection of data from the individual hosts in a connection group.
Any thoughts, preferences, opinions...?
-Nick