Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sherlane Lam <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/22 05:02:02 UTC

Fop bundled package source

Dear all,

I am using fop 0.20.4 together with some bundled
packages like: xalan, xerces, batik, avalon and etc.
All these are download together with fop.

However, all we find the bundled packages are in
binary jar files.  Where should I find the source of
them for our project source control?

I have find some source like xalan and xerces from
Apache site.  However, I notice that not all seperate
downloaded version are workable with fop, for example,
the batik 1.1.1 and 1.5beta (am I right?).  Therefore,
I want to know whether we can obtain the source
bundled with fop directly.  Is there any license
problem?

Thanks and regards,
Sherlane

Re: Fop bundled package source

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 22.04.2003 05:02:02 Sherlane Lam wrote:
>>Therefore,
>>I want to know whether we can obtain the source
>>bundled with fop directly.
>
> No, because we don't want to blow up the size of the source distribution
> any more than necessary. No Apache project does anything like this. It
> is assumed that if you work with the sources in the first place you are
> also up to the task of downloading dependant sources. If you have
> trouble finding these sources just ask (as you did).

Using CVS snapshopts isn't really good style but it's occasionally
necessary in order to <speak type="marketing">bring added value to
our customers</speak> <bg/>. Even the code for such snapshots can
be retrieved directly from CVS for a long time to come, if the clues
from the jar name or the jar creation date are taken.

I wish I wish I wish we'd always marked CVS snapshots properly as
such.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Fop bundled package source

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

xml-apis.jar: http://xml.apache.org/commons
Apache XML Xerces: http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j
Apache XML Xalan: http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j
Apache XML Batik: http://xml.apache.org/batik
Apache Avalon Framework: http://avalon.apache.org/framework/

See also: http://xml.apache.org/dist/

> I have find some source like xalan and xerces from
> Apache site.  However, I notice that not all seperate
> downloaded version are workable with fop, for example,
> the batik 1.1.1 and 1.5beta (am I right?).

Right. There have been API changes in the past so not every FOP version
is compatible with every Batik version and vice versa.

> Therefore,
> I want to know whether we can obtain the source
> bundled with fop directly.

No, because we don't want to blow up the size of the source distribution
any more than necessary. No Apache project does anything like this. It
is assumed that if you work with the sources in the first place you are
also up to the task of downloading dependant sources. If you have
trouble finding these sources just ask (as you did).

> Is there any license problem?

Certainly not. The dependant packages above are all under the Apache
Software License (the same as FOP). The reason is simple: Not everyone
needs all the sources. If you need them download them separately.

Jeremias Maerki