Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/11 23:11:27 UTC

[math][all] Archaeology pre-git

Now and then I want to go back and research how the code got to be
the way it is.  I used to be able to just jump into the old
svn-viewc thingy.  That is now blocked with a message that just says
"math is in git now."  That is great; but when I go back in the git
log, it always ends when whatever branch was created that I am
looking at.  How can I find the full history?

Re: [math][all] Archaeology pre-git

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 1/12/16 2:10 PM, sebb wrote:
> I realise that other solutions have been posted, but for completeness
> it might be useful to note that ViewVC can still be used for the SVN
> history if necessary:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/_moved_to_git/math/

Thanks, Sebb!

Phil

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 4:04 AM Silviu Burcea <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have also used gitk

I've not used that one.  I'll give it a shot!

Re: [math][all] Archaeology pre-git

Posted by Shuan Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Which command you use? I can see the svn change log by command 'git log' on
my local computer. See attachment screenshot.

[image: 内嵌图片 1]

Yang

Posted by Silviu Burcea <si...@gmail.com>.
I have also used gitk

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Al Chou <ho...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:42 AM, Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org> wrote:

Le 11/01/2016 23:11, Phil Steitz a écrit :> Now and then I want to go back and research how the code got to be> the way it is.  I used to be able to just jump into the old> svn-viewc thingy.  That is now blocked with a message that just says> "math is in git now."  That is great; but when I go back in the git> log, it always ends when whatever branch was created that I am> looking at.  How can I find the full history?
It seems strange. I just did a "git checkout field-ode" and "git log"and the list did go past the branch creation.
What I usually do for looking in large history with several branchesat once is "git log -30 --branches --oneline --decorate --graph",of course any number of commits other than 30 can be used.

Not that I ever use it, but I have this alias in my .gitconfig to do in the terminal what GUI's like gitk and SourceTree (which I personally adore, though GitUp is more powerful in sometimes-important ways) do:
lol = "log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all"
You can append the number-of-commits argument (e.g., -30) to it.
Its output is indistinguishable from that of Luc's command above in the repo that I tested them with.  You can obviously use the command without defining it as an alias:
git log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all

For any git command, like log, you can display its documentationby adding a "--help" *after* the command name, as in "git log --help".

Or do "git help log".

best regards,Luc

Al

Re: [math][all] Archaeology pre-git

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:28 PM Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, all.  I was not correctly using the commands or the web
> GUI.  Everything works fine.  Sorry for the noise.

Since you have the entire repository downloaded, you don't need the web
GUI.  That's one of the wonderful things about git (and one of the biggest
pains if someone checks in some huge files).  You can just use tools on
your local machine to do the investigation.

Re: [math][all] Archaeology pre-git

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.