Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matt Rigor <MR...@btsb.com> on 2007/05/22 15:34:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Memory consumption on Netware

Currently, I have a Netware 6.5 SP 5 box with Apache 2.2.4 & PHP 5.2.1.
The Apache and PHP packages are built by a gentleman named Guenter.  The
server is a Xeon class processor with 4 GB of memory.  A few other
services reside on the box which are DNS/DHCP server by Netware, Tomcat,
and James.  I do not believe these other applications play a factor into
my issue, but want to be thorough.  Within Apache, there are
approximately 5 web sites with one receiving the bulk of the traffic.
The site is primarily built with HTML, PHP, CSS, and Javascript.

Now on to the issue.  For quite sometime now, the Apache process loads
into memory and begins consuming the remaining memory.  After a period
of time the Netware OS adjusts to free more memory which Apache happily
consumes until it crashes the server with an out of memory error.  As an
example, in less than 24 hours the Apache process is 740 MB.  This
consumption appears to be load specific, meaning that during off-peak
hours the memory consumption stops or is negligible.  I have worked with
the builder of the Apache and PHP packages, but he has been unable to
replicate nor has he heard of any issue with similar symptoms from his
install base.

The Apache process runs in threaded mode, and I have attempted to cause
the threads to be killed and restarted by adjusting the
MaxRequestsPerChild to 1,000 from infinite.  This was suggested by
gentleman that assists with the Apache documentation, but unfortunately
it did not make a noticeable difference.

Being on a Netware box,I feel my options are somewhat limited at least
to my knowledge because I need to have packages or modules built for
Netware from source with some kind of special compiler software.
Anyway, I would like some suggestions on debugging the issue.  Is there
something in Apache or for Apache that will let me see what is being
held within memory or just a way to narrow down my search to a certain
section(s) of a site.

Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks for you time.

Matt Rigor
Bound To Stay Bound Books