Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com> on 2003/03/07 10:12:04 UTC

HTML Compliance + Legal issues with GIF

What is our stance on HTML compliance?

My thoughts:
1.  Ideally we should be aiming for HTML 4.01, verging on XHTML
yes, but apparently some old browsers don't like it)
3.  CSS - Shouldn't we be using CSS 1 (2?)  where possible?
4.   PNG - Shouldn't we be using PNG exclusively for lossless images?  (
Don't use PNG for alpha transparency images - IE6 does not render them
correctly). This is necessary for both technical and legal reasons.
(http://www.smartisans.com/burn_all_gifs.htm)

Apart from people who generate non-project sites using Maven, we should
be able to assume that most people who will visit project sites will be
using relatively modern browsers / or browsers that can ignore markup
they don't understand.  If you look at the output from JXR you can see
some pretty "old-school" HTML - eg font tags!

Cheers,

Ben

Re: HTML Compliance + Legal issues with GIF

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.

Ben Walding wrote:

> What is our stance on HTML compliance?
>

> My thoughts:
> 1.  Ideally we should be aiming for HTML 4.01, verging on XHTML

absolutely.

> is yes, but apparently some old browsers don't like it)

> 3.  CSS - Shouldn't we be using CSS 1 (2?)  where possible?

I thought we were (the tigris skins, etc)

> 4.   PNG - Shouldn't we be using PNG exclusively for lossless images?
> ( Don't use PNG for alpha transparency images - IE6 does not render
> them correctly). This is necessary for both technical and legal reasons.
> (http://www.smartisans.com/burn_all_gifs.htm)

No, though it would be simpler to track legality if nothing was GIFs.
Maven isn't generating the images (as far as I know); it is the tool
that generates (or decodes) gifs that has to be licensed. eg. since here
we use photoshop & fireworks we're ok. Looking at specific images maven
uses - the jakarta logo was hacked together in SVG by myself; I also
generated the PNG versions using Batik (they're there on the Apache
site, you could link to them instead). The GIF versions were created
from these originals by Nicola Ken Barozzi, I believe he used one of the
Adobe tools to do this (ie it was licensed). I don't know about the
'Maven' logo, but it wouldn't be difficult to ensure legality.

Its unusual to find a tool that creates GIF that's unlicensed these days.

> Apart from people who generate non-project sites using Maven, we
> should be able to assume that most people who will visit project sites
> will be using relatively modern browsers / or browsers that can ignore
> markup they don't understand.  If you look at the output from JXR you
> can see some pretty "old-school" HTML - eg font tags!

ewwww.

- Baz

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).