Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de> on 2004/06/17 14:14:29 UTC

independent pubs

As we progress on using several publications parallel I want to propose the
following improvements:

-  Moving breadcumb and menue files to default pub as has happened with tabs
for individually changes

-  Moving 404 page not found / language not found file to Default

- Moving the CMS Skin from /introdction.html onward to the Default Pub to
allow individually adaption of the CMS Layout.

Greetings

Christian

Re: OT: production of "The Big Picture" graphic (Re: independent pubs)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>

>>Actually, it is very easy to use your own menu styling:
>>http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/layout/lenya-menubar.html
>>("creating a customized menu")
>

> I am curious: how was "The Big Picture" graphic produced?

Adobe Illustrator + Wacom Graphire 2

-- Andreas

OT: production of "The Big Picture" graphic (Re: independent pubs)

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Actually, it is very easy to use your own menu styling:
> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/layout/lenya-menubar.html
> ("creating a customized menu")

I am curious: how was "The Big Picture" graphic produced?

Andreas

Re: independent pubs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

AW: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.

> Hm, I like the idea of using the fallback mechanism for the
> 404 page. Maybe something along the navigation framework
> could be used, i.e.
> cocoon://404/{publication-id}/{area}/{document-url}.xml,
> which will be handled by a fallback matcher in one of the
> root sitemaps. If the pub provides an implementation use it,
> otherwise use the global definition.
>
> Christian, can you file an enhancement bug so we don't forget
> about this?

I just did! :-)

Re: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.

Re: AW: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Hi,

>>>Are you familiar with the fallback concept and the navigation framework?
>

>>>http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/layout/navigation.html
>

> I have updated the Look & Feel Howto in the Wiki
> (http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaApplicationLookandFeelHowto)
> to contain that information. Please proof-read and add your comments.

Cool! I have changed it a little and added the info about
<xsl:import/>.

-- Andreas

AW: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

>> > but not in /lenya/lenya/pubs/default/lenya/xslt/navigation
>> > only tab.xsl is there

>> Are you familiar with the fallback concept and the navigation framework?

>> http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/layout/navigation.html

I have updated the Look & Feel Howto in the Wiki
(http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaApplicationLookandFeelHowto)
to contain that information. Please proof-read and add your comments.

Torsten

AW: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.

> >>they are already there. if you want to override the
> >>breadcrumb, just add
> >>a breadcrumb.xsl to lenya/xslt/navigation
> >

> > but not in /lenya/lenya/pubs/default/lenya/xslt/navigation
> > only tab.xsl is there
>
> Are you familiar with the fallback concept and the navigation
> framework?

http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/docs/components/layout/navigation.html

Thanks I am familiar with this and developped own menues.

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaSinglePubRT

This is interesting but have to investigate further how it can help
individualize multiple parallel publications.

Thanks for the feedback.

Christian

Re: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: AW: independent pubs

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
No, the URL is wrong (Wiki <=> Page). This is correct:

Re: AW: independent pubs

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

AW: independent pubs

Posted by Christian Kreutz <sc...@gmx.de>.
> > As we progress on using several publications parallel I want to
> > propose the following improvements:
> >
> > -  Moving breadcumb and menue files to default pub as has happened
> > with tabs for individually changes
>
> they are already there. if you want to override the
> breadcrumb, just add
> a breadcrumb.xsl to lenya/xslt/navigation

but not in /lenya/lenya/pubs/default/lenya/xslt/navigation
only tab.xsl is there

> do you mean styling of the menus? i would hold off on that
> until we have
> a better menu structure. also i am hesitant to give up the lenya GUI.
> what use case do you have for that?

I meant only this file, as nicely as
/lenya/lenya/xslt/navigation/menue,xsl is written it binds every new
publication and
changes are only possible by the page.css in the pub.
I just think in general the pubs should be more independent. Speaking as
a webdesigner main importance have the files page.css, page2xhtml.xsl,
and the navigation files. I know it is not so important and should not
be a priority but I just want to bring it in. I think lenya has a quite
complex directory and file structure and that confuses new users as it
did me in the beginning. Having all the necessary files in the pub makes
it easier to understand it and finally attracts more users! :-)

Re: independent pubs

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Christian Kreutz wrote:

> As we progress on using several publications parallel I want to propose the
> following improvements:
>
> -  Moving breadcumb and menue files to default pub as has happened with tabs
> for individually changes

they are already there. if you want to override the breadcrumb, just add
a breadcrumb.xsl to lenya/xslt/navigation

do you mean styling of the menus? i would hold off on that until we have
a better menu structure. also i am hesitant to give up the lenya GUI.
what use case do you have for that?

> -  Moving 404 page not found / language not found file to Default

you can change the stylesheet that is being used in the handle-errors
pipeline.

> - Moving the CMS Skin from /introdction.html onward to the Default Pub to
> allow individually adaption of the CMS Layout.

i'd rather not mix the publication layout and the lenya GUI. some of
that could be addresed by

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Page.jsp?page=LenyaSinglePubRT

though

--