Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2017/05/21 03:42:04 UTC

[IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Apache Ignite is receiving code for distributed Persistent Store.

See: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Please vote to approve the donation.

This is a lazy consensus majority vote, open for at least 72 hours.

Regards,
Denis

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:02 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to
>> GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a
>> substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate
>> for the code grant to be reviewed.
>>

> Errr... wait a tick.  We've been told a few times that IP Clearance and SGA
> are binary.  You do one or the other, not both.  Specifically SGA is to
> allow the modification of license (from X to Apache-V2.0) whereas IP
> Clearance is verifying that all existing Apache-v2.0 donation is in fact
> properly licensed (e.g. no hidden LGPL or other inappropriate licenses).
> There's even a line in the SGA that puts the ownness on this to the donator.
>
> If GridGain has submitted an SGA then that SGA is what is used.  Have they
> actually submitted an SGA as well?

FWIW: last week I recommended them to do that. Not sure if it was submitted.
That's why I'm so puzzled to see this request here (on top of Ignite being TLP
and not longer having much to do with IPMC).

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
> On May 25, 2017, at 11:33 AM, Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> 72 hours have passed but nobody voted. Does it mean that the vote can be closed saying that nobody is against the donation?

Yes.

Craig

> —
> Denis
>
>> On May 23, 2017, at 5:30 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Please see below
>>>
>>> ** The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
>>> file.  Is that the only change? **
>>>
>>> That’s one of the latest commits happened in that repository. In any case,
>>> Apache Ignite community decided to push the donation to an Ignite branch:
>>> https://github.com/apache/ignite/tree/ignite-5267
>>>
>>> These are all the changes in compare to the master branch:
>>> https://github.com/apache/ignite/compare/ignite-5267
>>>
>>> I’ve updated the IP clearance form to mention this and triggered the
>>> redeployment of incubator.apache.org. Hope it will appear there soon:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html
>>>

>> Perfect, thanks.
>>

>>> ** In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is
>>> already a
>>> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
>>> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed. **
>>>
>>> This is a software grant from GridGain. The grant was filed and
>>> acknowledged by Craig. Alexey Goncharuk works for GridGain.
>>>
>>> —
>>> Denis

>>> recorded
>>> discussion

>>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Folks,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
John,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Denis,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Denis,

Everything looks to be in order. Good luck.

Craig

clr@apache.org

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Niclas,
>
>> On May 22, 2017, at 12:05 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>>
>> Originally, the IP Clearance was intended for "block contributions" larger
>> than suitable for a Jira patch file, and from people outside the community.
>> For example, it could be code that was made at SourceForge and IP Clearance
>> was to make sure that the the OK/interest of the authors was recorded (via
>> ICLAs, IIRC).
>>
>> In this case, it seems that the author is on the PM, have an ICLA on file,
>> the work is part of the same commit tree, so I see no reason for the ASF to
>> doubt that he had the permission from the company to commit/push.
>
> My understanding is that the code under review here was developed outside Apache and is larger than suitable for a JIRA patch.
>
> So it is precisely the situation for which IP Clearance is intended.

That's 100% correct!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niclas,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

I don't know all of the details of the code, but this is in regard to GridGain's grant via SGA of a persistent store system which is a substantial body of code not developed at Apache. So IMHO it is appropriate for the code grant to be reviewed.

I don't see any issues except it's difficult (for me, a git novice) to figure out the exact donation. The reference is to a git repository that is "194 commits ahead, 240 commits behind apache:master". Most of the donated code is in “modules/pds”.

Craig

> On May 20, 2017, at 8:53 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The commit referenced in the IP clearance reflects some changes in a pom
> file.  Is that the only change?
>
> In addition, the commit seems to be from Alexey Goncharuk, who is already a
> committer from the foundation (has an ICLA) and is on the PMC for ignite...
> so its not clear why an IP Clearance is needed.
>
> John
>
> On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Apache Ignite is receiving code for distributed Persistent Store.
>>
>> See:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/persistent-distributed-store-ignite.html
>>
>> Please vote to approve the donation.
>>
>> This is a lazy consensus majority vote, open for at least 72 hours.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Denis

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Why is this request showing up on IPMC mailing list?

Thanks,
Roman.

[RESULT] [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Ignite - Persistent Store

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
This message officially closes the Apache Ignite Persistent Store’s IP Clearance vote that took pace on general@incubator:
http://apache-incubator-general.996316.n3.nabble.com/IP-CLEARANCE-Apache-Ignite-Persistent-Store-td54969.html

No one voted against the donation or spotted any IP issue. The donation has been cleared for import.

Regards,
Denis