Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/08/17 06:33:39 UTC

t3 - PullService

In order to properly decouple the PullService from Turbine and move it into
Fulcrum (which is what I'm currently working on), all references to the
RunData object need to be removed. In order to do this, the concept of
Persistent Scope within the PullService needs to be removed.

 *  persistent: tool is instantitated once for each use session, and
 *              is stored in the user's permanent hashtable. This means
 *              for a logged in user the tool will be persisted in the
 *              user's objectdata. Tool should be threadsafe and
 *              Serializable.

Personally, I don't see a need for this type of tool and I think it is a bad
scope idea which I know that I will never use.

So, my question is:

Is anyone else using this and can I get rid of it?

thanks,

-jon

Re: t3 - PullService

Posted by Sean Legassick <se...@informage.net>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:33:39PM -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
> In order to properly decouple the PullService from Turbine and move it into
> Fulcrum (which is what I'm currently working on), all references to the
> RunData object need to be removed. In order to do this, the concept of
> Persistent Scope within the PullService needs to be removed.
>
>  *  persistent: tool is instantitated once for each use session, and
>  *              is stored in the user's permanent hashtable. This means
>  *              for a logged in user the tool will be persisted in the
>  *              user's objectdata. Tool should be threadsafe and
>  *              Serializable.
>
> Personally, I don't see a need for this type of tool and I think it is a bad
> scope idea which I know that I will never use.

I know you've followed this up and said it doesn't matter anyway. But if
you really don't think its a great idea then maybe it should be removed.
I put it in partly because I could see that it was possible (not always
the best design motivator :) ) and also because I envisaged a use case
with a persistent UIManager tool. The idea being that the tools knows
its skin and persists that information for a user automatically.

I haven't (yet) got around to implementing the persistent UIManager -
I've been working away from the Java/Web field for a few months - but
when I get a chance I will do it. Unless we decide that the persistent
scope should be removed...

--
Sean Legassick
sean@informage.net

Re: t3 - PullService

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 8/16/01 9:33 PM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> In order to properly decouple the PullService from Turbine and move it into
> Fulcrum (which is what I'm currently working on), all references to the
> RunData object need to be removed. In order to do this, the concept of
> Persistent Scope within the PullService needs to be removed.
>
> *  persistent: tool is instantitated once for each use session, and
> *              is stored in the user's permanent hashtable. This means
> *              for a logged in user the tool will be persisted in the
> *              user's objectdata. Tool should be threadsafe and
> *              Serializable.
>
> Personally, I don't see a need for this type of tool and I think it is a bad
> scope idea which I know that I will never use.
>
> So, my question is:
>
> Is anyone else using this and can I get rid of it?
>
> thanks,
>
> -jon

Nevermind...talked this out in IRC....not going to move it...

-jon