Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2015/05/06 15:31:03 UTC

Simplifying Jira user management

Hi,

I took a look at the Jira roles that we have set up for the SLING
project.The situation looks roughly like this:

- Administrators: most members of the PMC ( missing 6 ), some committers ( 4 )
- Committers: a few members of the PMC, some committers ( missing 4 )
+ the sling-developers group

Given that we mostly use the extra Administrators group to allow
administration of the project in relation to release management, I
would suggest the following setup.

a) Remove all user entries from the Administrators and Committers group.
b) Add the sling-developers group as Administrators.

The advantage is that we have a setup which allows committers to
handle as much of release management work by default. This of course
assumes that:

1. We feel comfortable with allowing all committers administrator
permission for the project
2. The sling-developers group actually contains all sling committers

For the record, these are the extra permissions that the
Administrators group has:

- Administer project:  Ability to administer a project in JIRA.
- Move Issues: Ability to move issues between projects or between
workflows of the same project (if applicable). Note the user can only
move issues to a project he or she has the create permission for.
- Modify Reporter: Ability to modify the reporter when creating or
editing an issue.
- Delete Issues: Ability to delete issues.
- Edit All Comments: Ability to edit all comments made on issues.
- Delete All Comments: Ability to delete all comments made on issues.
- Delete All Attachments: Users with this permission may delete all attachments.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Robert

Re: Simplifying Jira user management

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.
I've re-added you and everyone that is not part of the
sling-developers group. This should work fine for everyone.

Robert

--
Sent from my (old) computer

Re: Simplifying Jira user management

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> ...My profile page in JIRA exposes also that I am only in the group jira-users...
>>
>> It might be because you guys are in the "sling" LDAP group but not in
>> "sling-pmc".
>>
>> Maybe we can ask infra to map those to the "sling-developers" and
>> "sling-pmc" JIRA groups if those are mapped from LDAP groups.
>
> Let's see what infra has to say about this, but not everyone in the
> PMC is part of this group, e.g.
>
> - Stefan Egli - https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=egli
> - Dan Klco - https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=klcodanr
>
> It might happen where the Jira username != LDAP username, but I don't
> have a lot of information to back that up.

The reply from Infra ( see [0] ) was that Jira groups are discouraged
since they can't be easily managed and there is no link between Jira
groups and LDAP groups. They therefore recommend assigning users
directly to roles [1] . I will take a second pass through the users
and 'expand' the sling-developers group to its current listing and
remove it from Jira.

Robert

[0]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-9820
[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Role+Based+JIRA+Authorization

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> wrote:
> ...My profile page in JIRA exposes also that I am only in the group jira-users...

It might be because you guys are in the "sling" LDAP group but not in
"sling-pmc".

Maybe we can ask infra to map those to the "sling-developers" and
"sling-pmc" JIRA groups if those are mapped from LDAP groups.

-Bertrand

Re: Simplifying Jira user management

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2015-05-20 at 22:23 +0200, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> thanks - from my JIRA profile it seems i'm only member of jira-users,
> not of sling-developers in JIRA

I asked for clarification on infra-dev [1] but got no answers so far

Robert

[1]: https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure
-dev/201505.mbox/%3CCAC8ULPY%3D%2BmsvQwL%2BU4ak%2B6h2H1TkqAEuuVDY28vV8M
8P6giggQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.

--