Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/01 13:59:31 UTC

Re: &# codes and symbols

The short answer is that there may not be any easy way to do this.
>From the XML standpoint, the reference for a character like &#x2061; is
effectively equivalent to the character itself.  So in theory any
parser or transformer that follows the XML spec thinks they're the same
thing.  (I'm generalizing here, but it's an important point).

The first question to ask is: why do you care?  If you're
hand-processing the file later on, then you might want to consider
parsing it with a full-featured parser instead, so that you won't care
whether it's a reference or the real character.

If you can't do that, then perhaps someone else with experience in our
serializer can jump in?  There are detailed ways to try to influence
how we process references and what kinds of characters that we put out.
 Note however that you can't control all characters this way, just some
kinds, so I'm not even sure that would work for you.

=====
- Shane

<eof .sig="'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said,
in a very scornful tone, 'it means just what I
choose it to mean - neither more nor less'"
"Oohayu oyod?!"=gis. />

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/