Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/25 17:00:21 UTC

Trying to recover a Deleted Directory

I deleted a directory by accident (and committed - svn seemed to get quite
confused by what I was doing), and I'm trying to recover it, but I can't
figure out how to make svn merge work right.  I get a cryptic message:

[foo@maple W.5-6.p5]$ svn merge -r48:46
/data/httpd/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/lesson_plan
Skipped missing target: 'footer.php'
Skipped 'Weather_and_Climate/5-6/W.5-6.p5'
svn: Working copy 'Weather_and_Climate/5-6' is missing or not locked
[foo@maple W.5-6.p5]

Please help, I just trashed a whole directory, and I really need to get it
back!!

Thanks,

Alex

Re: Trying to recover a Deleted Directory

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Alex Turner wrote:
> This does looks more like what I was looking for.
>
> Oddly I ended up checking out the files from the relavent revision into
> another directory, then copying them into the appropriate place.  svn
> checkout svn://localhost/blah@46 didn't work, it gave me revision 48, I
> had to specify the -r tag to get the revision I wanted.

This sounds like you may have lost the history of the files though, if the copy
you mention was not a subversion copy.

You really want to just revert the merge using something like 'svn merge -r
N:N-M', where M > 0 and takes you back where you want to go.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: Trying to recover a Deleted Directory

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.
This does looks more like what I was looking for.

Oddly I ended up checking out the files from the relavent revision into
another directory, then copying them into the appropriate place.  svn
checkout svn://localhost/blah@46 didn't work, it gave me revision 48, I had
to specify the -r tag to get the revision I wanted.

Alex.

Posted by Craig White <cr...@azapple.com>.
Read Note #3 at the bottom of the page.

Craig