Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> on 2009/11/19 14:59:16 UTC

Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat

Hi

Can some body  provide me a sample code for  Socket  (TCP / IP ) reading  from a war application on Tomcat

Can Listeners be made use of for the same?

Reason:  I need to   Accept / Reply  a XML File over the socket port from 3rd party application (as Client )
                 Also the  Soap (Approached was not recommended for this  existing application )

With regards
Karthik

RE: Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat

Posted by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Not necessary, if any can provide me some idea's....

It would be wonderful

With regards
Karthik

On 19/11/2009 13:59, Karthik Nanjangude wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can some body  provide me a sample code for  Socket  (TCP / IP ) reading  from a war application on Tomcat
 >
> Can Listeners be made use of for the same?
>
> Reason:  I need to   Accept / Reply  a XML File over the socket port from 3rd party application (as Client )
>                   Also the  Soap (Approached was not recommended for this  existing application )

You're asking us to write code for you?  For free?

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi>.
Karthik Nanjangude wrote:

 >> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:59:16 +0100, Karthik Nanjangude
 >> <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> wrote:
 >>>
 >>> Can some body  provide me a sample code for  Socket  (TCP / IP )
 >>> reading  from a war application on Tomcat
 >>
 >> See here for some examples:
 >> http://tinyurl.com/ylq2zlj
 >
> This is not Fun dude...
>
> I know how to write a SOCKET Programming for Standalone,
>
> How do I write a socket Listener for WEB Application running over TOMCAT  when the application is up and running.?
>
> Please be serious...I asked for some help or ideas .... :(

I would say the suggestion by Ronald was spot on. Tomcat will
happily handle HTTP over TCP sockets for you, but if you need
to work on TCP sockets without HTTP, then Tomcat will not be
of any help (or perhaps you could write your own listener class,
but that could be quite an undertaking).

So far you haven't told any reason for use of Tomcat at all,
perhaps there is one, but you're the only one of us who knows
about it.

If your scenario is that you have some data service which you
need to expose both over some custom XML over TCP implementation
and via HTTP, then perhaps your application structure should be
such that there is one application that handles the actual XML
data service (so provides the XML-over-TCP scenario), and would
then satisfy the needs of this third-party app. Then, to satisfy
the needs for the HTTP interface, you would write the requisite
servlet code to be run on Tomcat which would likewise get its
data using the same XML-over-TCP interface that the server already
provides.

Or perhaps you do it the other way around (esp. if you already
have the HTTP part running (and it is actually needed). You'll
write something that can accept the XML-over-TCP, and will make
the appropriate HTTP requests to get the required data from the
service already running on Tomcat.

If, however, the need is just for the XML-over-TCP solution, without
any HTTP interface needed now or in the foreseeable future, then
just drop Tomcat, and write the code that is needed. I trust there
are many good libraries and frameworks to help in building a good
custom socket server. Or then you can just write everything right
to the core Java APIs.
--
..Juha

Re: Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:13:44 +0100, Karthik Nanjangude
<ka...@xius-bcgi.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is not Fun dude...
>
> I know how to write a SOCKET Programming for Standalone,
>
> How do I write a socket Listener for WEB Application running over
> TOMCAT  when the application is up and running.?
>
> Please be serious...I asked for some help or ideas .... :(

Tomcat is a Servlet engine. You can use Tomcat to write/run Servlets.

What is your setup?

client <-A-> tomcat <-B-> 3rd party app?

'A' is handled by a servlet?
And you have to write 'B'?

Can you provide more information?

Ronald.

Posted by Peter Crowther <pe...@melandra.com>.
2009/11/20 Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>

> A 3rd party Client S/w of C++ sends an XML string over socket
>
> This socket is be defined and read by *Process* of web application
>
> OK, so you're trying to get Tomcat to do something it's not designed to do:
handle incoming TCP connections that are not HTTP connections.  This will be
a lot of work.  It's like trying to drive a car along a river instead of a
road... sure, you can adapt the car to do that, but it might be cheaper to
get a boat!  In this case, it might be cheaper to get a socket server.

What are the goals for performance and response time to the C++ client?  Can
you use something like Apache MINA (http://mina.apache.org/) to write
yourself a small server that accepts the incoming XML from the C++ client,
then wraps it in a HTTP request and sends that HTTP request to Tomcat?

- Peter

Re: Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:22:57 +0100, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Ronald Klop wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:20:04 +0100, Karthik Nanjangude
>> <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> A 3rd party Client S/w of C++ sends an XML string over socket
>>>
>>> This socket is be defined and read by *Process* of web application

>>> TOMCAT 6.0.2.0
>>> JDK 1.6.0
>>> O/s  Linux / Unix / Windows

>>> Soap over HTTP (Approached was not recommended by the existing client
>>> s/w

>>> With a Load on Startup servlet tried to listen to the socket,which
>>> does not work
>>  What went wrong? There is no reason why such a thing should not work.
>> Just instantiate a static class/Thread which listens on a port. I don't
>> understand your problem. It is the same as a standalone program except
>> you are starting your class differently.
>>
> Just jumping in here for a minute..
> Isn't there some fundamental logical problem here ?
> Unless I am mistaken, we are talking about a webapp running under
> Tomcat.  This webapp is being run when there is a request (in principle,
> a HTTP request) received by Tomcat, whose URL matches one that the
> webapp is mapped to.
> Now if that webapp gets started, somehow, and even if it starts
> listening on a socket (separate from the Tomcat Connector listening
> sockets), isn't that socket not going to be listening anymore when that
> webapp, somehow, stops running ?
> I fail to see the inherent logic in running something like this under
> Tomcat.  I mean, even if somehow it works, what is the benefit of
> running this under a servlet engine ?
> Should this not be instead a stand-alone application ?

That is something everybody except the OP is wondering about. :-)

Ronald.

Re: Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.

Posted by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

<ka...@xius-bcgi.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can some body  provide me a sample code for  Socket  (TCP / IP )
> reading  from a war application on Tomcat
>
> Can Listeners be made use of for the same?
>
> Reason:  I need to   Accept / Reply  a XML File over the socket port
> from 3rd party application (as Client )
>                  Also the  Soap (Approached was not recommended for
> this  existing application )
>

> With regards
> Karthik

See here for some examples:
http://tinyurl.com/ylq2zlj

Re: Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
<ka...@xius-bcgi.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can some body  provide me a sample code for  Socket  (TCP / IP )
> reading  from a war application on Tomcat
>
> Can Listeners be made use of for the same?
>
> Reason:  I need to   Accept / Reply  a XML File over the socket port
> from 3rd party application (as Client )
>                  Also the  Soap (Approached was not recommended for
> this  existing application )
>

> With regards
> Karthik

See here for some examples: