Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org> on 2021/07/23 09:17:44 UTC

End of support for Apache James 2.3.2 ?

Hello,

Following recent discussions on gitter, issues are reported on Apache
James version 2.3.2.

This version is not under active development (released in 2013 with a
security fix in 2015 version 2.3.2.1).

No active development had been undertook recently.

The source code is not available on Git / Github.

I fear no real active committer is able to fix issues on it.

It uses Avalon Phoenix retired in 2004 (yes...).

For archeologists, sources can be found at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/tags/2_3_2_1/

As such I propose to:

 - Make it clear with a formal vote we can refer to that the Apache
James PMC no longer supports Apache James vers 2.x.
 - Archive related downloads
 - Remove references from the website
 - Write a little email to the Apache announce mailing list,
general@james, server-user@james.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Benoit TELLIER

Re: End of support for Apache James 2.3.2 ?

Posted by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello,

I did open a pull request to remove mentions of 2.3.2 of james.apache.org.

https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/561

Regards,

Benoit

Posted by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org>.
Overall +1

On 26/07/2021 11:36, Garry Hurley wrote:
> Yes, I kind of clicked send before my answer was finished because my
> toddler was acting up next to me. What my position was is that the source
> and any information related to 2.3.2 should be preserved

https://archive.apache.org/dist/james/server/ fit that role in my opinion.

Also we can keep the SVN branches alive (maybe with a mention in the
README as you state below).

> but maybe add a
> frame around the page or something, so that people know it is preserved for
> posterity and not being supported. That frame should also include links to
> the most up to date James source and so forth, along with a strong
> encouragement to upgrade to the new version.
+1

Posted by Garry Hurley <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.
Hello,