Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2003/08/07 10:55:24 UTC

Moderating mailing lists

Hi,

Given that spam makes up the vast majority of messages to the log4j
mailings requiring moderation (or manual intervention by the moderators),
the current moderators that is Jon Skeet and myself, would like to request
infrastucture@apache to modify our mailing lists so that they no longer
require moderation. Only subscribers will be able to post messages and
non-subscribers will receive a message asking them to subscribe before
accepting their post.

Any objections? If you do object, you must also volunteer to moderate... :-)

--
Ceki For log4j documentation consider "The complete log4j manual"

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:55:24 +0200
(Subject: Moderating mailing lists)
Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:

<snip/>
> Any objections? If you do object, you must also volunteer to moderate...
> :-)

-1 ;-)

E-mail address for remote moderation: kitahata@terra-intl.com :D
(I dispose of over 500 mails everyday, so must use another mail
address...)

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:51:32 -0700
Mark Womack <mw...@bevocal.com> wrote:

> Does the infrastructure have some kind of spam blocking software in place?
> If it does not, then might it block the majority of the spam to make it more
> manageable for moderators?  If it already does, well, then I guess there is
> no hope for moderation in the long run.

please see
/var/qmail/bin/spamwatch
on both machine in apache.org (minotaur, daedalus)

I think it's pretty well (written in perl), however, it can not
detect the *non-english* spam mails.

I think most of the committers in the western can not distinguish
normal e-mails from spam mails when they are written in eastern
languages. Introducing many *spam-watch* to apache.org can reduce
the misunderstandings of the western committers, I am sure.

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)