Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2009/02/11 06:14:41 UTC

Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug

On Feb 3, 2009, at 2:30 AM, Paolo Spadafora wrote:

> To be able to work seriously I need to debug tomcat with embed
> openejb using
> WTP,
> I know how to do it with remote debugger but doesn’t work well, have
> re-deploy my ejb+webapp each time.

Hi Paolo,

I'm not familiar with the Tomcat support in the Eclipse WTP.  If you
can tell me a bit about it that would be appreciated.

Karan was mentioning something the other day regarding Eclipse/Tomcat
and having to start/stop Tomcat after each change.  Cc'ing him as
maybe he has some info also.

-David

R: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug

Posted by Paolo Spadafora <p....@gmail.com>.
Hi David,
With eclipse WTP you can debug a web application without restart tomcat
(except a few cases, like changes on a struts config).
It runs an instance of tomcat using a temp folder to deploy webapp
(exploded) and some custom xml configuration (adds a few special tags inside
server.xml and web.xml).
I think what we need is something like the JBoss plugin not WTP.
The JBoss plugin does something very simple, keeps in synch your webapps and
ejbs by copying the compiled classes (and project files) under the
deployment folder, like mywebapp.war or myejb.jar, but these are folders,
not files.
Basically the tomcat-openejb plugin should do a few simple things:
- start its own customized instance of tomcat with a pre-deployed
application: openejb.war
- keep a list of deployed application (eg: a Web Application "webapp" and an
EJB "ejb")
- intercept changes to deployed webapp files or class compilation and synch
with tomcat copy
- intercept changes to deployed ejb and synch with the filesystem/openejb,
like runtime class loading/replacement
- undeploy and clean (temp files, etc)

For instance, for point 1, the plug-in should dynamically crate a temp
folder where to run openejb-tomcat, set openejb home for you, set bootstrap
jars, etc. usually they do in the plug-in folder:
eclipse/plugins/openejb.apache.org/tmp0/.
There is more, but I think is enough to give you an idea.

Paolo

Re: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug

Posted by Paolo Spadafora <p....@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I am very busy but I'd like to work on it.
Will keep you up to date.

thank you.

Paolo.

Re: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM, David Blevins <da...@visi.com>wrote:

> [...]

>> For instance, for point 1, the plug-in should dynamically crate a temp
>> folder where to run openejb-tomcat, set openejb home for you, set
>> bootstrap
>> jars, etc. usually they do in the plug-in folder:
>> eclipse/plugins/openejb.apache.org/tmp0/.
>> There is more, but I think is enough to give you an idea.
>>

> Jonathan might have a better idea what it might take to do some of these
> things.  And while we're wrangling up people, are you at all interested in
> working on it?  I bet you're already designing it in your head :)

This all sounds very interesting - I think a WTP server for Tomcat+OpenEJB
would be be very useful. The current plugin uses the DeployerBusiness EJB in
the standalone server, and it looks like this is available in Tomcat,
perhaps we can use functionality we already have in
org.apache.openejb.eclipse.server.ServerDeployer [

If you'd like to work on this, please do join in. I'll help you in any way I
can.

Jon

Re: Eclipse WTP + Tomcat Debug

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.