Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Don Smith <do...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/17 07:12:06 UTC

auto start james on boot

I realize this might be more of a linux question, but my problem is only
with James, so I'm wondering if there is something James specific I'm
missing. I've added James to initd via the chkconfig --add james command.

[root@web01 ~]# chkconfig --list | grep james
james           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I did the virtually the same thing with Jetty, a web app server:

[root@web01 ~]# chkconfig --list | grep jetty
jetty           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:off   5:off   6:off

The difference is that on boot Jetty is started up, but James isn't. And
there is nothing in the James or Phoenix logs indicating there was even an
attempt to start up. Has anyone else had success getting James to start on
boot on Linux, like Centos5? Did you do anything different than what I've
done?

Thanks,

Don

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by "A. Rothman" <am...@amichais.net>.
Mine would also work ok from command line, but fail (with missing/wrong
environment variables) when started automatically... apparently most of
the environment which is available when logged in is missing during the
boot process.

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by Don Smith <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by Don Smith <do...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, good question:

[root@web01 ~]# find /etc -name "*james*"
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05james
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S80james
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S80james
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S80james
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S80james
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K05james
/etc/rc.d/init.d/james
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05james

Seems the start scripts are in the right place, correct?

=Don

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by Eric MacAdie <er...@MacAdie.net>.

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by "A. Rothman" <am...@amichais.net>.
Great!

One last tip - in my case PHOENIX_HOME was misdetected as the root '/',
which caused two new directories to be created there - '/logs' and
'/temp'. You might want to look under the wrong PHOENIX_HOME it was
using (whether root or some other directory) and erase them if they were
created...

Amichai

Re: auto start james on boot

Posted by Don Smith <do...@gmail.com>.