Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Di Li <di...@ca.ibm.com> on 2015/09/01 17:42:34 UTC

Ambari 2.1 rolling upgrade not updating properties changed in a configuration group?

Hello all

Is this bydesign that the rolling upgrade doesn't apply property changes
to the properties overridden in the configuration group?

On my 4 node cluster, I created a configuration group to apply some custom
properties values in oozie-site.xml for the Oozie server only. After
rolling upgrade, I found the values I have overridden in the configuration
group remain unchanged.   I looked at the upgrade-2.3.xml, it defined a
serious of oozie-site.xml property changes like removing some properties
and changing some property values.

Thank you.

Di Li

Re: Ambari 2.1 rolling upgrade not updating properties changed in a configuration group?

Posted by Alejandro Fernandez <af...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, that is by design. Rolling Upgrade across a major stack version (such
as HDP 2.2 -> 2.3) will merge configs as follows,
Assume HDP 2.3 stack contains configs C1 ... Cn, with values V1 ... Vn.
If HDP 2.2 contains any of those configs, and the user also modified the
value, then Ambari will preserve the modified value coming from the HDP
2.2 stack.
This is because the user probably had good reason to modify the property,
and we should not blindly force it on the newer value.
The upgrade from HDP 2.2 -> 2.3 also has instructions to remove and rename
properties from the previous stack version.

Thanks,
Alejandro