Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by st...@outerthought.org on 2003/04/03 20:00:07 UTC

[WIKI-UPDATE] Tutorials Snippets HowTos Thu Apr 3 20:00:07 2003

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Tutorials , version: 26 on Thu Apr  3 17:57:58 2003 by TonyCollen

- Hello Internet !!!! A list of links to Cocoon tutorials either in this Wiki, or elsewhere on the web
?                                                          ------------------------

+ Hello Internet !!!! A list of links to Cocoon tutorials elsewhere on the web.
?                                                                             +

+
+ You might want to check [HowTos] for info contained within this Wiki.

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Snippets , version: 17 on Thu Apr  3 17:41:03 2003 by TonyCollen

- IMO most of this should be classified as FAQs.  This content could probably be moved to [FAQs] -- [TonyCollen]
?                 --------------------------------------------

+ IMO most of this could probably be moved to [FAQs] -- [TonyCollen]

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=HowTos , version: 84 on Thu Apr  3 17:53:27 2003 by TonyCollen

- Quick HOW-TO documents to get to grips with particular chunks of functionality.
?                                                                               -

+ Quick HOW-TO documents to get to grips with particular chunks of functionality (In strict alphabetical order)
?                                                                                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+ * __[CocoonProtocolExample]__ -- how to use the cocoon:/ protocol to combine data from multiple sources
+
+
+ * __[Data Debugging Technique]__ -- a technique for debugging data that goes through several transformers -- [IlyaAKriveshko]
+
+ * __[Debug FlowScripts]__ -- how to visually debug flowscripts - [rgardler]
+
+ * __[Design Pipelines]__ -- how to design your pipelines and matchers -- [Reinhard Pötz|ReinhardPoetz]
+
+ * __[Error Handling]__ -- how to add error handling to your [Sitemap] -- [Leigh Dodds]
+
+ * __[Excel Generation]__ -- how to generate XLS (MS Excel format) from Cocoon
+
+ * __[File Uploads With Cocoon]__ -- Overview and configuration of file uploads with Cocoon [GeoffHoward]
+
+ * __[File Upload With Action]__ -- how to use file upload and do the processing in an Action
+
+ * __[Form Validation Using Cocoon]__ -- How to validate form input.
+
+ * __[JarProtocolExample]__ -- how to use the jar:/ protocol to read data from a jar (or zip) file
+
+ * __[MetaStylesheets]__ -- how to use meta-stylesheets (stylesheets that generate other stylesheets) in [Cocoon] -- [Leigh Dodds]
- * __[Simple Transformations by example|Jars2exclude]__ -- how to write the XSL transformation "Jars2exclude" mentioned in "Create Minimal Webapp" by ''GeoffHoward''. [Scherler].
+ * __[OpenOffice files in Generator|OpenOfficeGeneration]__ -- How to use OpenOffice 1.0 files in the XML Generator. [Yves Vindevogel|Vindevogel]
+
+ * __[Profiling]__ -- how to use profiling in Cocoon -- [Reinhard Pötz|ReinhardPoetz]
+
+ * __[Redirecting]__ -- how to redirect correctly -- [NicolaKen]
+
+ * __[Request Parameter Encoding]__ -- how to let Cocoon know what encoding to use when retrieving request parameters - [BrunoDumon]
+
+ * __[Rtf Generation]__ -- how to generate RTF (MS Word-compatible format) from Cocoon
-
[...]
+ * __[Embed SVG Fonts|Embedding_SVG_Fonts]__  -- description of Cocoon-based tools that add the svg:glyph elements necessary to render its text elements on a client lacking the specif. [BruceRobertson]
+
+ * __[Gzipped Compress XML Output|Gzip_XML_Serializer]__  -- description of a serializer that produces Gzipped XML output. Useful for generating *.svgz files, among other things. [BruceRobertson]
+
+
+ * __[Hot Deploy]__ -- effective Cocoon development -- [KonstantinPiroumian]
- * __[Hot Deploy]__ -- effective Cocoon development -- [KonstantinPiroumian]
+ * __[Load In Eclipse]__ -- how to load Cocoon in Eclipse - [SylvainWallez]
- * __[Embed SVG Fonts|Embedding_SVG_Fonts]__  -- description of Cocoon-based tools that add the svg:glyph elements necessary to render its text elements on a client lacking the specif. [BruceRobertson]
+ !! Apache/Tomcat
+ * __[AuthWithTomcat]__ -- how to let the servlet container (Tomcat) handle authentication and authorisation
- * __[Gzipped Compress XML Output|Gzip_XML_Serializer]__  -- description of a serializer that produces Gzipped XML output. Useful for generating *.svgz files, among other things. [BruceRobertson]
-
- * __[Load In Eclipse]__ -- how to load Cocoon in Eclipse - [SylvainWallez]
-
-
- !! Apache/Tomcat
- * __[Cocoon And Apache ModRequest]__ -- how to Use Apache mod_request to provide client-side cache of Cocoon content - [BruceRobertson]
-
- * __[Using Apache's mod_proxy with Cocoon|ApacheModProxy]__ -- how to configure Apache mod_proxy as a front-end to Cocoon by [Pier Fumagalli|PierFumagalli] (Original emails part [#1|http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104441321803644&w=2] and [#2|http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104445792717349&w=2]).
?      ---------------

+ * __[mod_proxy with Cocoon|ApacheModProxy]__ -- how to configure Apache mod_proxy as a front-end to Cocoon by [Pier Fumagalli|PierFumagalli] (Original emails part [#1|http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104441321803644&w=2] and [#2|http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104445792717349&w=2]).
-
+ * __[Integrating eXist into Cocoon|EXistInCocoon]__ -- Installing and configuring the eXist XML:DB into a Cocoon application. Integrating eXist allows you to avoid running eXist as a seperate server. [BenjaminYoung]
+
+
+ * __[Xindice Logicsheet]__ -- how to make a Xindice work in Cocoon, an utility logicsheet included -- [JosemaAlonso]

Re: [WIKI-UPDATE] Tutorials Snippets HowTos Thu Apr 3 20:00:07 2003

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 06:47  AM, Diana Shannon wrote:

>> Any big objections to moving the content on [Snippets] to [FAQs] ?  We
>> could lose the [Snippets] page altogether and get rid of some cruft.
>
> I have no objections. It was created as a separate category originally
> with the idea that snippets would be displayed in a textarea box, where
> they could be readily copied. This is no longer necessary, now that we
> have wiki where such copies are simply a matter of clicking "Edit this
> Page".
>
> However, what do you mean by the term "cruft". Let's be careful here.
> Even though we are using this for our documentation system, some people
> inevitable will have the wiki perception that major edits are rude. So,
> let's be thoughtful about removing cruft. Do you mean you are removing
> links from the index to certain pages you consider cruft?

Also, while/if you're at it, individual FAQs could reside on single
pages, similar to How-Tos, don't you think?

Diana

Re: [WIKI-UPDATE] Tutorials Snippets HowTos Thu Apr 3 20:00:07 2003

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 10:27  AM, Tony Collen wrote:

>> Do you mean reinforce the distinctions between a How-To and a Tutorial?
>> I agree with what you did.
>
> Nope, in fact, ideally, I think we should get rid of one of the terms
> and
> choose the other.  The choice to make Tutorials all of the off-site
> links
> was mostly arbitrary.  The only relation I saw on the Tutorials page was
> that all of the links except 2 were off-site, and the 2 on-site links
> were
> described as "How to $whatever".  It just seemed natural.

No, let's not get rid of Tutorial classification. I've said this before
on cocoon-dev, but I'll repeat it here.

Sometimes you just need a basic how-to to accomplish something. Simple
steps for those of us with *no* time to learn something new each and
every time we happen to do something new. It would be nice to master
this or that concept every time we do something different, but the
reality remains that we don't have enough time -- at least initially. By
contrast, tutorials should teach, as well as show how. While tutorials
contain how-to information, they **also** contain conceptual
information. How-Tos are primarily just the facts, not much more.
Tutorials help you apply knowledge to a range of problems, not just the
problem at hand. In fact, a tutorial may have multiple how-to parts.

Now I realize there is a continuum between the two doc types, but please
let's not lose the distinction. It's important that we encourage authors
to write tutorials. You could even take an existing how-yo and turn it
into a yutorial.

I'll post the distinctions somewhere on wiki over the weekend.

Diana

Re: [WIKI-UPDATE] Tutorials Snippets HowTos Thu Apr 3 20:00:07 2003

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 10:27  AM, Tony Collen wrote:

> Textarea?  Isn't copying off the web page easy enough? :)  With regards
> turning the snippets into FAQs, it would be simple enough to rewrite
> "Make
> An Internal Pipeline" into "How do I make an internal pipeline?"

Yes.  And this way, multiple Questions could point to the same Answer.

Diana

Re: [WIKI-UPDATE] Tutorials Snippets HowTos Thu Apr 3 20:00:07 2003

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com>.
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 01:11  PM, Tony Collen wrote:
[snip]
> > I'm trying to remove the overlap between the notion of a Tutorial and
> > How-To.
>
> Do you mean reinforce the distinctions between a How-To and a Tutorial?
> I agree with what you did.

Nope, in fact, ideally, I think we should get rid of one of the terms and
choose the other.  The choice to make Tutorials all of the off-site links
was mostly arbitrary.  The only relation I saw on the Tutorials page was
that all of the links except 2 were off-site, and the 2 on-site links were
described as "How to $whatever".  It just seemed natural.

So perhaps we need to rename Tutorials to something like "Other sites with
Cocoon help", and keep the notion of a "How-To" on the wiki.  IMO
Tutorials are just How-To docs, and possibly vice versa.

> > Any big objections to moving the content on [Snippets] to [FAQs] ?  We
> > could lose the [Snippets] page altogether and get rid of some cruft.
>
> I have no objections. It was created as a separate category originally
> with the idea that snippets would be displayed in a textarea box, where
> they could be readily copied. This is no longer necessary, now that we
> have wiki where such copies are simply a matter of clicking "Edit this
> Page".

Textarea?  Isn't copying off the web page easy enough? :)  With regards to
turning the snippets into FAQs, it would be simple enough to rewrite "Make
An Internal Pipeline" into "How do I make an internal pipeline?"
Although, I'm not sure as to how Frequently these Questions are asked, but
whatever =]

> However, what do you mean by the term "cruft". Let's be careful here.
> Even though we are using this for our documentation system, some people
> inevitable will have the wiki perception that major edits are rude. So,
> let's be thoughtful about removing cruft. Do you mean you are removing
> links from the index to certain pages you consider cruft?

I only meant cruft as in extraneous pages that we'd have to remove other
links to, like the Snippets page being referred to by BestPractices,
About, LeftMenu, and HowTos.  If we move the content to FAQs, we'll
probably want to clean up the links to the Snippets page on these other
pages.  Simple site maintenance.

> Definitely better if your language is alphabetized like English ;-).
> Still, I think the term "Basic" is too broad, now that we have so many
> How-Tos. I promise to take a stab at it over the weekend.

Well yeah, but the whole Wiki is Auf Englisch =]

Random thought:

What happens when we want to translate our docs?

Yeah, I know we're nowhere near requiring that yet.

Ever working for better docs,
Tony

--
Tony Collen
ICQ: 12410567

Re: [WIKI-UPDATE] Tutorials Snippets HowTos Thu Apr 3 20:00:07 2003

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@neuagency.com>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 stevenn@outerthought.org wrote:

> Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Tutorials , version: 26 on Thu Apr  3 17:57:58 2003 by TonyCollen

<snip/>

> + You might want to check [HowTos] for info contained within this Wiki.

I'm trying to remove the overlap between the notion of a Tutorial and
How-To.  Most of the links on Tutorials were third-party, offsite links.