Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Wietzel, Dave {PBSG}" <Da...@pbsg.com> on 2003/11/05 17:06:27 UTC

Questions

I currently support a portal product that we developed in-house for our
international communities.

In Frito-Lay international we have 40 independent business units that want
portal technology but are on a tight budget.

The reason I might suggest Jetspeed is because of JSR 168. I need to be able
to recommend a portal solution that can integrate components that adhere to
this standard. I beleive Oracle is heading this way both with their portal
and applications. We utilize Oracle applications in our international
companies. Of course, I do have my concerns about Oracle applications having
too much proprietary requirements on top of the standard to truly make it
plug and play with other portals, but if they do then it's a win-win.

I would like to recommend looking at Jetspeed, but I cannot find any
references to any production implementations of jetspeed.

Is Jetspeed still in a use at your own risk sort of state or are companies
using it as a production tool?

Is there a version that you would recommend we could look at to replace our
in-house tool?

Can the 1.4 version utilize LDAP for authentication? Is there any
documentation to describe how to implement this?

Any ideas when version 2 will become available?

I am also going through the Jportal examples. How is this different from
normal Jetspeed deployments?

Is there anything proprietary in it?

Will version 2 allow me to do LDAP authentication?

Dave Wietzel
PepsiCo International
972-963-6573

 <<Wietzel, Dave {PBSG}.vcf>>