Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org> on 2010/11/08 02:13:42 UTC

facetting when using field collapsing

Hi,

I am pondering making use of field collapsing. I am currently indexing clauses (sections) inside UN documents:
http://resolutionfinder.org/search/unifiedResults?q=africa&=&t[22]=medication&dc=&st=clause

Now since right now my data set is still fairly small I am doing field collapsing in userland:
http://resolutionfinder.org/search/unifiedResults?q=africa&=&t[22]=medication&dc=&st=document

However while this works alright (not ideal, since I am fetching essentially the entire result set and not paged as for clauses) etc, I still have no idea how to get the facet filters to display the right counts. So I am wondering if field collapsing in its current form supports faceting, since its not mentioned on the wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org

Re: facetting when using field collapsing

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:

> On 13.11.2010, at 10:30, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
>>> The above wiki page seems to be out of date. Reading the comments in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-236 it seems like "group" should be replaced with "collapse".
>>
>> The Wiki page is not expansive, but I've tried to make it easy for
>> people to get started, and make everything there correct.  If you can
>> point out what is incorrect, we can fix!
>>
>> With regards to faceting, it works, but is unaffected by grouping
>> (i.e. facet counts will be the same as a non-grouped response).
>

> The wiki page uses "group", but in the ticket all examples always speak of "collapse". Which syntax is correct?

It's "group" - try out the examples on the wiki page.
JIRA tickets are for development, not documentation.

> Other than that the ticket also speaks of a few parameters not mentioned, specifically if facetting should happen before or after group/collapse:
> collapse.facet=before|after

This currently doesn't exist in the committed code, hence the param is
not documented.
Grouping/collapsing currently has no effect on faceting (i.e. set
group=false and you will get a non grouped result with the exact same
facet counts).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: facetting when using field collapsing

Posted by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org>.
On 13.11.2010, at 10:30, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
>> The above wiki page seems to be out of date. Reading the comments in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-236 it seems like "group" should be replaced with "collapse".
>
> The Wiki page is not expansive, but I've tried to make it easy for
> people to get started, and make everything there correct.  If you can
> point out what is incorrect, we can fix!
>
> With regards to faceting, it works, but is unaffected by grouping
> (i.e. facet counts will be the same as a non-grouped response).

The wiki page uses "group", but in the ticket all examples always speak of "collapse". Which syntax is correct?
Other than that the ticket also speaks of a few parameters not mentioned, specifically if facetting should happen before or after group/collapse:
collapse.facet=before|after

A few others that I found scavenging the comments, note some/many may not be relevant anymore or were just ideas someone proposed:
collapse.includeCollapsedDocs.fl
collapse.includeCollapsedDocs.count
collapse.type
collapse.threshold