Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Joe Harrison <jo...@hofferflow.com> on 2002/05/28 19:41:35 UTC

Axis beginner

I want to develop applications using Visual Studio .net but use Linux
with MySQL and Apache Axis (for web services) on the back-end. Prior to
this I have been developing web-based applications using PHP,
ColdFusion, and MySQL. I know there is already a great deal of
documentation on the internet but I was hoping someone could point me in
the right direction. After reading the overview on Axis it appears to be
very similar to the .net concept of "compiled on the fly" web services
and easy deployment. However, they make a few assumptions, like: the
availability of a servlet directory and references to Tomcat. I have
never developed with Java and I am not sure what needs to be installed
on my Linux box. I think what I need is a list of prerequisites, a
checklist of services, daemons and/or applications that need to be
installed in order to install and use Apache Axis. Also is there a way
to write web services in PHP using Apache Axis?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Axis beginner

Posted by Paul Hunnisett <ph...@bigfoot.com>.
To install tomcat, you simply need to download the zipped file from
jakarta.apache.org and extract it onto your linux box.  Then you simply
need to copy the contents of the Axis webapp folder into
<Tomcat-Installation-Directory>/webapps

You will also need to copy all of the jar files that come with axis
(<axis-install-directory>/lib) into
<Tomcat-Installation-Directory>/common/lib

Once you haver done this, you can deploy the java classes that represent
your services as detailed in the Axis docs.  Make sure you put all the
correct jars into the lib folder!

You can run tomcat with <Tomcat-Installation-Directory>/bin/catalina.sh
run

Re: Axis beginner

Posted by Heitzso <he...@bellsouth.net>.
You should spend a half day digging through doc at axis site first.
That said, on your linux system:
	jdk 1.4.0
	tomcat 4.0.3
	axis beta 2 (or whatever current is)
You'll need to modify the tomcat startup script to include
	-Djava.endorsed.dirs=point-to-axis-dir/lib
and you'll need to add the axis.war file or webapps tree to the tomcat
webapps directory.

Sanest thing is to do this one step at a time:

 1) java

  a. get java 1.4.0 from sun, if your linux system is debian unstable
     you'll need to also pick up a lib that's required to run
     sun's 1.4.0
  b. write some simple "hello world" type programs, compile them, run
     them (this introduces you to idea of the compiler, classpaths,
     packages, jvm, etc.)

 2) tomcat

  a. download tomcat 4.0.3 (unless 4.0.4 comes out)

  b. run tomcat and check out their example webapps

 3) axis

  a. download axis

  b. copy axis war file or webapps tree over to tomcat webapps directory

  c. setup the -Djava.endorsed.dirs in tomcat startup script

  d. run axis samples

 4) write the absolute simples of echo/test web service
    and get it to run -- perhaps even just retyping in
    one of the axis samples but in your own package tree.

Note that you've got several days to several weeks of coming-up-to-speed
ahead of you.

You don't run php via axis.

There isn't a real servlet[s] directory.

I apologize for any mistakes in the above.

Heitzso