Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2019/08/05 16:24:26 UTC

Re: James with AWS SES mail receiving

I'm looking at moving off of my dedicated server to AWS, which means
moving JAMES.  Interesting concepts in this thread below from a year or
so ago about using SES.  But all I want to do is get JAMES up and
running in an AWS EC2 with an RDS with as little rip up and effort as
possible.   Assuming I copy my current JAMES build to EC2, set up the
RDS, install SpamAssassin, and open the appropriate ports, are there any
gotchas lurking that I need to be aware of?  (Still just getting my feet
wet with AWS....).

Somewhat off topic... what size EC2 is recommended?  Do I simply start
small and creep up until the EC2 no longer pegs the meter? Anybody have
an experience with what size EC2 to select?

Thanks.

Jerry

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
I'm using an EC2 with tomcat and jdbc with RDS with no problems. So that
shouldn't be a problem.  My main concern was whether or not AWS blocks
port 25.  At one time, goDaddy dedicated servers were forced to go
through a goDaddy proxy for port 25.  The troll under the bridge would
only send a certain number of emails each day, so emails would take
several days to arrive if the limit was reached,  and they would charge
outrageous fees if you sent too many emails out.  I can't afford any
situation like that.  As long as AWS doesn't proxy port 25, I'm not
worried. But not surprising that goDaddy didn't widely publicize their
little proxy scam.  So just a bit paranoid.... Just wondering if anybody
had first hand experience with James in AWS.

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.