Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2018/03/11 17:18:21 UTC

Trying to remove "style" attribute set by Royale. First let's focus on style="display:block"

Hi,

coming back to this topic. I think is important, and that it deserves its
own thread like I said in other one covering this and other topics.

Current problem: In jewel button display is set to "inline-block", but
since there's a default style, this make this assignment unused (appears
strike out in browsers, since style="display:block" takes precedence. This
happens in all through any royale app what I think is something bad. I
think this is serious right?

Another side effect is that we should no create any "style" in html tags
due to:

* bloated code (anyone looking at the html code we produce will see this
problem and will think in this as a "bad point" for us)
* as I notice, all styles in that tags takes precedence. And the last word
should be in devs hands, not in royale framework devs hands.
* if you see demos from other ui frameworks like material, semantic, etc..
you'll never site ugly style attributes in any tag through all the demo,
and they do what we do, so we can't say, "we must use style tags since
there's no other way to do that". I think that's not true. This should be
what "Core" or "Basic" CSS should do. "Basic" should not say nothing about
font sizes, colors, backgrounds, etc.. but should do things like assign
display, other needs more near to the framework code.

I propose to start looking to display:block to see how to remove, and then
progress to other styles like white-space: nowrap, margins, paddings...so
we can end seeing no "style" attribute set by our framwork.

So centering on display:block only: I'm trying to find where is the line
where the framework assigns "display: block" to all components to find
alternatives.
I think it should be in Basic, but after comment all lines where I see this
kind of assignament it still appears. Could someone point me to the line
where this happen?
my thinking on this particular assignment is that it could remove from all
components easily.

thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Trying to remove "style" attribute set by Royale. First let's focus on style="display:block"

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
HI Alex,

> IMO some styles (padding, margin, font*) determine the "boxes", other
> styles (position, display) place the boxes.

I think almost the same

> The layouts will likely set
> position and display directly on the outer box of a component.

can this be done in "framework CSS"? instead of be hardcoded in HTML? (for
*directly on* you can be referring to inline in styles as we do, or in a
*framework CSS* (a CSS that's not part of a theme, but part of the
Basic.css and is included always as a companion piece of code). I think the
later is the right way, since it enforces separation of concerns,
organization, modularization and in the end will result in better code and
less wight in final app (we'll get rid of all 'styles' in each line)

> The
> defaults.css in Basic should not have any styles that determine the boxes.
>  Those styles should be in basic.css (the default theme).

I think I agree, but again that phrase can result in ambiguity. I think the
default.css in Basic.swc (code part) must be set up all the things we put
now inline in 'style', and basic.css in theme, should but the rest (font
sizes, colors, backgrounds, and more). There can be discussion on
particular properties (i.e should 'cursor' by in one or another?)...but
that's the right way without any doubt.

> If some part of the framework that is "outside" the component is setting
> the display style on an subcomponent, that is probably a bug and needs
> discussion.

Right. I think that's what layouts (like VerticalLayoutWithGapAndPadding)
are doing. That works right now, but best way should be to assign className
to all the children affected, instead of hardcoded styles in component.
This result in the same effect but more clean, and the code is reusable and
make the html leaner. I think all of this are benefits.

> If you are using a layout inside the component then you
> should expect it to set the placement styles on the subcomponents.

Rigth, I think is what I described in the previous paragraph

> If the Button is in a HorizontalLayout it will set display:inline-block,
> otherwise Div's won't layout horizontally.

Right, but assign the className to the components. That's what all
recognized sets do out there. All work in the same way.

> If you want to write smarter
> layouts that check to see if the child doesn't default to inline display,
> feel free to do so.

I can do what I described, i.e: I can create a
VerticalLayoutWithGapAndPadding that assign a className instead of hardcode
the style,
If I do so and fix all the things described, can be think about make this
change through all the framework?

> I'm curious why your theme sets display on the outer
> component.

mmm...don't know if I understand right this. Jewel Button set
display:inline-block in its CSS. Button in not an *outer compoent* in
relation with its own css rule...that's what I don't understand in your
sentence. I see that is how all before mentioned frameworks do.
do you see a problem there?,

Thanks

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
IMO some styles (padding, margin, font*) determine the "boxes", other
styles (position, display) place the boxes.  The layouts will likely set
position and display directly on the outer box of a component.  The
defaults.css in Basic should not have any styles that determine the boxes.
 Those styles should be in basic.css (the default theme).

If some part of the framework that is "outside" the component is setting
the display style on an subcomponent, that is probably a bug and needs
discussion.  If you are using a layout inside the component then you
should expect it to set the placement styles on the subcomponents.

If the Button is in a HorizontalLayout it will set display:inline-block,
otherwise Div's won't layout horizontally.  If you want to write smarter
layouts that check to see if the child doesn't default to inline display,
feel free to do so.  I'm curious why your theme sets display on the outer
component.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Piotr,

this issue is affecting all the code since is in basic.
You can check my branch and see it yourself, If you see the html code
you'll see all buttons with hardcoded style properties. What is not good at
all.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Trying to remove "style" attribute set by Royale. First let's focus on style="display:block"

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Piotr,

don't worry that was some of things I worried so much when working on MDL,
and for that reason I made most of the changes I did at that moment. In
Jewel I'll be doing the same ;)

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Trying to remove "style" attribute set by Royale. First let's focus on style="display:block"

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Piotr,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
If I would want an Vertical layout which do not affect as much your
children - I would create set of layouts beads which applies FlexBox rules
or Grid rules to the children. The things is that I would do this the same
way - by inline styles instead of css classes.
Why ? Look into my previous statement.

Thanks, Piotr

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Trying to remove "style" attribute set by Royale. First let's focus on style="display:block"

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
HI Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I also care about the HTML output, but in a different way than you (I think). I care that it should be easy to debug and reason out why things are happening.

Can you explain why you care about inline CSS? I’m not getting it.

If find it much easier to understand inline CSS. It’s sometimes difficult to figure out what sets specific inline styles, but it’s also difficult sometimes to figure out what sets classes. Working through complex CSS style sheets and figuring out which sheet is setting what style and why is a *very* time consuming process. In my experience, style sheets makes debugging more difficult and not easier.

Harbs

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.