Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com> on 2008/12/11 11:21:38 UTC

SMX4: Does the wrapping of commons-dbcp support OSGi Dynamic Imports?

Hi there,

I was configuring yesterday a fragment of Spring for SMX4 to deploy an
Oracle dataSource and expose it as an OSGi service (and so share it
across all bundles in the container). Using the Postgres pooled data
source works fine: however, using the Oracle dataSource I get a
ClassNotFoundException.

This is because the commons-dbcp BasicDataSource is trying to
dynamically load the Oracle driver: it would seem, however, that my
wrapping of the commons-dbcp.jar has not added a DynamicImport-
Packages attribute to the Manifest.MF.

Does the SMX4 bundles/commons-dbcp-1.2.2 wrapper add DynamicImport-
Packages to the Manifest.MF? I've checked the pom, but I don't see it
explicitly setting up DynamicImports.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Ade.

Re: SMX4: Does the wrapping of commons-dbcp support OSGi Dynamic Imports?

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

Have updated that patch (changed DynamicImport-Packages to
DynamicImport-Package), but stayed with the shade approach as that's
what seems to be used throughout the other bundles too.

/Ade

On 12 Dec 2008, at 09:30, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Looks good to me.
> Wanna raise a JIRA and attach your patch there ?
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:51, Adrian Trenaman
>> Ok. So, the plan is:
>>
>> * modify bundles-pom/pom.xml to add the DynamicImports element as
>> an option
>> * modify commons-dbcp-1.2.2/pom.xml so that it specifies
>> DynamicImports as *
>>
>> I can go and do this if you like and send you a patch... or do you
>> want to
>> do it?
>>
>> /Ade
>> On 12 Dec 2008, at 08:13, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Shade is only really used to create a dependency reduced pom.  All
>>> the
>>> osgi informations
>>> are done using the felix bundle plugin configured in the parent pom
>>> and customized for
>>> each bundle using properties.  I'm thinking it's easier to keep the
>>> OSGi related config
>>> using that plugin instead of splitting it between shade and bundle
>>> plugins.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>
>> ---
>> Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of
>> Competence
>> Progress Software Corp
>> Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4, Ireland
>> ---
>> +353-1-637-2659 (Office)
>> +353-1-637-2882 (Fax)
>> +353-86-6051026 (Mobile)
>> adrian.trenaman (Skype)
>> ----
>> Blog: http://trenaman.blogspot.com

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

---

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Ok. So, the plan is:

> [...]

>>> <Export-Package>${servicemix.osgi.export}</Export-Package>
>>>
>>> <Import-Package>${servicemix.osgi.import.pkg}*</Import-Package>
>>>
>>> <Private-Package>${servicemix.osgi.private.pkg}</Private-Package>
>>>                      <DynamicImport-Packages>*</DynamicImport-
>>> Packages>
>>>                      <_failok>${servicemix.osgi.failok}</_failok>
>>>                  </instructions>
>>>                  <unpackBundle>true</unpackBundle>
>>>              </configuration>
>>>          </plugin>

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>
>> ---
>> Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of

---

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
> [...]

>> Also, I had to set the version for shade to be 1.2 for this to
>> work. I
>> haven't created a JIRA for this issue - can you apply the patch
>> directly or
>> do you want me to put it all through JIRA?
>>
>> Best,
>> Ade.
>>

>> On 11 Dec 2008, at 11:41, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, this looks like a bug and should be fixed.
>>> Wanna provide a patch or I can do that if you prefer.

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>
>> ---
>> Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of

---

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

Have attached a patch to this email. Basically, I had to add the
following to the shade configuration element:

                             <transformers>
                                 <transformer

implementation
="org.apache.maven.plugins.shade.resource.ManifestResourceTransformer">
                                     <manifestEntries>
                                         <DynamicImport-Packages>*</
DynamicImport-Packages>

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.