Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2014/10/20 02:26:38 UTC

High level of installer failures

Hi,

We still having a high level of installer failures over the last week it sitting at over 100 install failures a day.

Most common of there relates to unable to create temporary directory on windows (now fixed) but for the last week we have:
unable to create temp dir (x180), 2032 (x 90), MD5 failed (x80), windowsError (x70), glj40.jar download failed (x50), AIR download failed (x50), unable to load config (35x), Flash SDK download failed (x25), OSMF download failed (x10)

With the MD5 mostly failing due to Adobe changing their MD5's every other day do people think we make this not a fatal step, but  instead issue a warning to the user?

The config xml issue may be SSL related. Do we really need to download this file over SSL? Obviously it's more secure to do so, but is that worth the extra failed installs?

The "windowsError" issue seem quite common but I not sure what the issue is there - has anyone run into that error with the installer?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: High level of installer failures

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> How do you know the MD5 failures are due to Adobe MD5 changes?

Because they occur in clusters/peaks on the google analytics graph. Looking at the 4.13 SDK  it looks like at least 1/3 of the MD5 failures can be directly related to the MD5 being out of date. If it is was just from an AIR or other general issue I'd expect a fairly flat line.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/19/14, 5:26 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We still having a high level of installer failures over the last week it
>sitting at over 100 install failures a day.
>
>Most common of there relates to unable to create temporary directory on
>windows (now fixed) but for the last week we have:
>unable to create temp dir (x180), 2032 (x 90), MD5 failed (x80),
>windowsError (x70), glj40.jar download failed (x50), AIR download failed
>(x50), unable to load config (35x), Flash SDK download failed (x25), OSMF
>download failed (x10)
>
>With the MD5 mostly failing due to Adobe changing their MD5's every other
>day do people think we make this not a fatal step, but  instead issue a
>warning to the user?
How do you know the MD5 failures are due to Adobe MD5 changes?  IMO, it
just seems like all of the downloads, even the config file, are
susceptible to failure.  I’ve changed the MD5Checker to run hourly and
generally I respond in a few hours so fewer of these failures should be
due to updated MD5s.  If other folks want to help update the config file
when the MD5s change it will cut it down even more, but it just seems to
me that most of it is just bad downloads.  I still wonder if there’s
something about URLLoader and large downloads as Ant doesn’t seem to have
the same failure rate.

-Alex