Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2010/09/07 10:31:12 UTC

[milestone] create freebsd x86_64 binaries?

I've run tests on freebsd 8.0 x86 and x86_64 for the latest milestone
release and placed them at:

  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86/html/
  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86_64/html/

The x86 results have lots of crashes but the x86_64 results don't
look too bad.  They suffer from the fact that freebsd really needs to
implement sockets using the dual ipv4/ipv6 mechanism that is used by the
windows implementation but I think it is actually pretty good apart from
that.

I think it might be a good idea to create the x86_64 binaries with this
milestone.  What do others think?

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [milestone] create freebsd x86_64 binaries?

Posted by Lang Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/Sep/2010 14:10, Mark Hindess wrote:

> http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86_64/html/

> >> I'd be uncomfortable about putting them alongside the platforms which
> >> we have tested more thoroughly, and we know work well.
> >
> > Judging by the evidence of the last few releases, the windows 64-bit
> > releases belong in the same category as freebsd as I am the only one
> > testing them too.
> >
> >> Perhaps we can make a new area for 'previews' or some such idea...?
> >
> > Doesn't "milestone" already imply "preview"?
> >
> > I agree we need to set expectations appropriately but if we don't create
> > something then we'll never get interesting in addressing the problems.
>
> I'm ok with that approach.
>
> As an aside, our download page is looking cluttered already, it would be
> good to have somebody with a bit of design sense to make it look more
> friendly.  Looks like it was put together by a bunch of developers !!

I thought Harmony's users are developers too ;)
We could use some user interface libraries make this page more pretty. I
made a demo page, by using Tabs widget from JQuery UI, that group builds
together with tabs, see http://www.yanglang.net/harmony/download.html.
Probably we can have something like this for both hdk5.0 and hdk6.0?

Regards,
Lang

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 07/Sep/2010 09:31, Mark Hindess wrote:
> I've run tests on freebsd 8.0 x86 and x86_64 for the latest milestone
> release and placed them at:
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86/html/
>   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/testing/5.0M15/freebsd.x86_64/html/
>
> The x86 results have lots of crashes but the x86_64 results don't
> look too bad.  They suffer from the fact that freebsd really needs to
> implement sockets using the dual ipv4/ipv6 mechanism that is used by the
> windows implementation but I think it is actually pretty good apart from
> that.
>
> I think it might be a good idea to create the x86_64 binaries with this
> milestone.  What do others think?

I'd be uncomfortable about putting them alongside the platforms which we
have tested more thoroughly, and we know work well.  Perhaps we can make