Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Thomas Bouron <th...@cloudsoft.io> on 2018/10/23 08:21:30 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New layout for the Blueprint Composer

Good morning Brooklyners!

When developing the Blueprint Composer which is now part of Brooklyn UI, we
(as in Cloudsoft) decided to use the left panel for both the palette as
well the spec editor (i.e. the configuration panel appearing when you
select entity on the graph) This was done mainly because of the simplicity
of the solution, but also because we felt at the time that having 2 panels
would take too much real estate.

However, based on the feedback we got up until now, it's confusing for
users to reuse the same space for different contexts. Therefore, I would
propose to separate out the palette and the spec editor, placing the former
on the left and the latter on the right.

I made a PR that goes in this direction[1] which also adds niceties around
palette customisations. I would greatly appreciate feedback either on this
thread or directly on the PR. If you feel not having enough experience with
Angular/Javascript, general feedback on whether or not this is a good idea
or look&feel is more than welcomed.

Best.

[1] https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-ui/pull/84
--

Thomas Bouron
Senior Software Engineer

*Cloudsoft <https://cloudsoft.io/> *| Bringing Business to the Cloud

GitHub: https://github.com/tbouron
Twitter: https://twitter.com/eltibouron

Need a hand with AWS? Get a Free Consultation.

Re: [PROPOSAL] New layout for the Blueprint Composer

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@gmail.com>.
Looks good - I see it's merged already!  Wish they were all that fast!

Geoff