Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/02 00:39:26 UTC

Re: ooxml-schemas size

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> wrote:
> If you don't want to write the new ooxml .xlsx files, you can do without
> ooxml-schemas and similar jars, which'll bring your library size down alot.

Hmm, does that mean that for example in Apache Tika where I'm just
interested in reading stuff from .xlsx (and other ....x files), I
wouldn't need the ooxml-schemas dependency?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: ooxml-schemas size

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Sat, 2 May 2009, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> wrote:
>> If you don't want to write the new ooxml .xlsx files, you can do without
>> ooxml-schemas and similar jars, which'll bring your library size down alot.
>
> Hmm, does that mean that for example in Apache Tika where I'm just
> interested in reading stuff from .xlsx (and other ....x files), I
> wouldn't need the ooxml-schemas dependency?

Sorry, no. The original question was just about writing, hence my
phrasing. If you want to work with the ooxml files, you do need the
ooxml-schemas file. Unfortunately, the spec for the ooxml files is pretty
large, hence the large schema size, and the large xmlbeans compiled jar
file.

I'm not sure it'd be possible to only pick out and compile the bits
of the schema that are relevant to text extraction, but I guess it might
be worth a bit of investigating if the file size of ooxml-schemas is
proving very problematic

Nick