Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by jl...@br.ibm.com on 2005/10/13 16:34:47 UTC

Adding a new Project on Jakarta

Hello, my name is João, i'm a Brazillian Java developer. In this email i
will describe the general proposal for my project, the JFTP4I (Java FTP
for Integration). My intentions are basically to add my project inside the
Jakarta/Apache umbrella as a TLP (or as a subproject, depending on the
context). For that i give you a detailed description.

Project Description:

The JFTP4I is a new idea for the concept of using FTP for integration
purposes. Here in Brasil (and i think very much in the rest of the world),
all the legacy systems are basically using FTP as a way of integrating
different platforms running under TCP/IP. Example: we have a lot of cases
of programs running in the mainframe that are actually using FTP to
transmit data to the lower-platform. The JFTP4I is actually an application
server that can support a number of deployed application inside the FTP
engine. A general flow will be: The user(system) makes a put (or read)
file request to the JFTP4I, the FTP engine then recognizes (using the XML
configuration file) the actual FTPAction to be executed, and then
delegates the flow to the right method inside the action - The framework
uses the PODA/MVC II patterns, and is very similar to the Jakarta Struts
framework (request -> controller -> Action). This framework can do a lot
of things, like generate files dinamically (files that do not actually
exist on disk, files that are created dinamically), implement personalized
detailed transactions, trace, and so forth.

The project has already started (exists), and is hosted in the
sourceforge.net. I have 3 friends helping me develop the solution. The FTP
engine, trace, and Log are already done, and we are now working in the
transaction and delegation parts for the requests. You can found a alpha
version to be download in the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jftp4i

PS.: This is not another FTP Server, this is actually a framework that
uses a FTP engine to dinamically generate content.

Obs.: If any one can help me with this, i appreciate.

        Best Regards,

        João

Re: Adding a new Project on Jakarta

Posted by Donald <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sorry,I don't know what's jason?
Is it a JBI implement?

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Donald,

Posted by Donald <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great!

Posted by jl...@br.ibm.com.
>On 10/17/05, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>:
>> Hi Joao

>> > roadmap.
>> protocols
>> > implemented
>> > cooperate.
>> >
>> > I love the idea, how can we organize this? Yes (kkkk) we had
implemented
>> > the standart FTP commands :-P(PI and DTP) defined in the rfc959, just
>> > nightmare to understand and use. Maybe we can join forces, why not.
>>

>> OK, it sounds like you're interested enough. Then what about
contributing
>> your team's work by providing us some patches? It will help us to
>> considering letting you and your team in to us. WDYT, Noel? Would there
be
>> any issue with doing this?
>>

>IMO patches from outside developers really need to original contributions
of
>a manageable size. contributing an existing codebase through patches
makes
>it hard to trace the origins of the code and may lead to legal doubts
over
>the code. if ftpserver is interested in the code, then this needs to be
>imported corrected by obtaining the C/CLAs and so on.

>however, without a community to support and develop the code, large code
>contributions are just dead burdens. with a healthy community, it's easy
>rewrite bad code whereas even if a project has good code, a unhealthy
>community will drag it down. a healthy community can usually add original
>code quicker that it can assimilate code without a community. so, it's
>usually best to try to import the community with the code.

>João's project is already at sourceforce so the ftpserver folks can
easily
>take a look at what's already there. after a little discussion, it's
usually
>pretty easy to work out whether the communities are congurent enough to
>successfully merge so my recommendation would be for João and the rest of
>the developers to hop over to the ftpserver lists and continue the
>discussion there. if things look positive, then the ftpserver project
could
>let us know and then the required documents for the code and for the
>communities could be done together.

>- robert

Hello Robert,

        i agree with you, our intentions are to add something, to give
some values for the common static/stateless FTP Servers that already
exists in the market. I, my self, and my friends have NO intentions on
corrupting (or drag it down) good things that may already exists. Even
because, we wouldn´t start this if that was the reason (just to much
trouble and no gain). As i said, we are only hoping to aggregate something
that we understand as a need and as a value to the open source community,
just that.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/05, Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joao
>
> 2005/10/14, jlopes@br.ibm.com <jl...@br.ibm.com>:
> >
> > >Sounds very interesting and it is similar to what was in our MINA
> > roadmap.
> > >MINA project team will provide protocol handlers for well-known
> protocols
> > >such FTP, HTTP, and SMTP on top of MINA. I guess your team has
> > implemented
> > >it without any network framework. It could be much better if we
> > cooperate.
> > >And perhaps we could cooperate with 'ftpserver' team who is already in
> > >incubation.
> >
> > I love the idea, how can we organize this? Yes (kkkk) we had implemented
> > the standart FTP commands :-P(PI and DTP) defined in the rfc959, just i
> > nightmare to understand and use. Maybe we can join forces, why not.
>

> OK, it sounds like you're interested enough. Then what about contributing
> your team's work by providing us some patches? It will help us to
> considering letting you and your team in to us. WDYT, Noel? Would there be
> any issue with doing this?

IMO patches from outside developers really need to original contributions of
a manageable size. contributing an existing codebase through patches makes
it hard to trace the origins of the code and may lead to legal doubts over
the code. if ftpserver is interested in the code, then this needs to be
imported corrected by obtaining the C/CLAs and so on.

however, without a community to support and develop the code, large code
contributions are just dead burdens. with a healthy community, it's easy to
rewrite bad code whereas even if a project has good code, a unhealthy
community will drag it down. a healthy community can usually add original
code quicker that it can assimilate code without a community. so, it's
usually best to try to import the community with the code.

João's project is already at sourceforce so the ftpserver folks can easily
take a look at what's already there. after a little discussion, it's usually
pretty easy to work out whether the communities are congurent enough to
successfully merge so my recommendation would be for João and the rest of
the developers to hop over to the ftpserver lists and continue the
discussion there. if things look positive, then the ftpserver project could
let us know and then the required documents for the code and for the
communities could be done together.

- robert

Re: Adding a new Project on Jakarta

Posted by jl...@br.ibm.com.
>Hi Joao

>>2005/10/14, jlopes@br.ibm.com <jl...@br.ibm.com>:
>>
>> >Sounds very interesting and it is similar to what was in our MINA
>> roadmap.
>> >MINA project team will provide protocol handlers for well-known
protocols
>> >such FTP, HTTP, and SMTP on top of MINA. I guess your team has
>> implemented
>> >it without any network framework. It could be much better if we
>> cooperate.
>> >And perhaps we could cooperate with 'ftpserver' team who is already in
>> >incubation.
>>
>> I love the idea, how can we organize this? Yes (kkkk) we had
implemented
>> the standart FTP commands :-P(PI and DTP) defined in the rfc959, just i
>> nightmare to understand and use. Maybe we can join forces, why not.

>OK, it sounds like you're interested enough. Then what about contributing
>your team's work by providing us some patches? It will help us to
>considering letting you and your team in to us. WDYT, Noel? Would there
be
>any issue with doing this?

>Hi,

>   We have one API set called ftplet bundled with the
>Incubator FTPServer. The basic objective is to
>integrate other applications with the FTP server. We
>will be more than happy to work together.

>Thanks,
>Rana Bhattacharyya

Hi to you both (Rana, Trustin),

        Okey, i think that a good way to start, is to you guys examine the
code that we have developed (sorry, part of the documentation are still in
Português (Portuguese, we are working on that), but we can understand each
other through the code - kkkk), then we can start from there (How we can
merge the ideas and so forth). I will enter the FTPServer mailling list,
because i think it's appropriate from this point to continue discussing
the jftp4i from there.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joao

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.