Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Wendell Piez <wa...@mulberrytech.com> on 2009/01/24 18:38:43 UTC

Cocoon version for classroom use

Hi,

I am teaching a graduate-level university course this term on
XML/XSLT and I am intending to use Cocoon to provide for dynamic
server-side XSLT transformations (XSLT 1.0 and 2.0).

I've used Cocoon successfully in the past for this: last year we used
Cocoon 2.1.11.

Now I have to decide whether to take the plunge and try to use Cocoon 2.2.

The complications are as follows:

   * We need to be able to map individual students' directories into
Cocoon for dynamic development of their XML/XSLT. In the past, we did
this with the mount-table.xml file, which was very nice. We simply
mapped particular URI prefixes to subdirectories within students'
directories, which they had permissions to write to. They then could
create and manage their own sitemaps with their own pipelines,
pointing to their own XML and XSLT. Everything just worked.

   * However, we did have trouble with getting UTF-8 in and out of
the system. With the help of an expert web developer and longtime
Cocoon user (who is unfortunately not available this term, or I'd be
asking him this question :-), we got something sort-of working, but
it was spit-and-duct-tape. I couldn't duplicate this. Whatever
version we use, we need to be able to handle UTF-8 in forms, in
request parameters and of course on output. (One student is doing a
project using Cyrillic.)

   * We need XSLT 2.0 support (a recent version of Saxon), plus at
least FOP, Batik, and possibly other blocks and capabilities, which
are generally supported in the 2.1.11 default build. (Last year a
student serialized MIDI. That was cool.)

In the Cocoon 2.2 docs, I don't see anything resembling the
mount-table.xml mechanism. This, plus the fact that I need to be able
to set it up and leave it alone for weeks (and not being a Java
developer, I need the setup to be easy), leads me to think I should
stick with 2.1.11. But in that case, I'm going to need help getting
the UTF-8 support right this time.

What do the experts advise?

Thanks!
Wendell