Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Steven Woolley <wo...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/04 06:56:41 UTC

rendering unclosed tags - a petition to fix before 5.1

Can I petition that the closing tags not being rendered also be fixed before
5.1?  Not only did it cause invalid html, but also it actually affected the
rendering (or at least the browser's attempt to compensate did) of visual
layout (I had div's that were wrapped inside of the unclosed anchor above it
at least in Safari!).

Further, I saw some crazy errors also associated with it:

RequestExceptionHandler Processing of request failed with uncaught
exception: Request event 'gotoPage' (on component Playlist:table) was not
handled; you must provide a matching event handler method in the component
or in one of its containers.

When the Handler WAS defined, in the table component. (it worked flawlessly
before the upgrade and flawlessly after change all empty anchor's to have an
empty span inside them) (I use $('gotolinkid'); to get the url of the link
to update it with ajax) and the unmatched tags must have screwed that up
too.

It also affected empty <h1></h1>'s etc... I think this is a big regression
that will give people a bad impression in a stable release.
My $.02...

Steve

Re: rendering unclosed tags - a petition to fix before 5.1

Posted by Steven Woolley <wo...@gmail.com>.
woohoo!   Thanks!Steve

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Oops.  The vote went forward, but if there's a problem (there won't
be, I tested) we can always cancel the vote and generate a new 5.0.18.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Blower, Andy
<An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:
> If you don't mind holding off a day, we'll be checking the fix for clustering ASO's tomorrow morning UK time. (today was just too full unfortunately)

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: rendering unclosed tags - a petition to fix before 5.1

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Woolley <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francois Armand <fa...@linagora.com>.
Steven Woolley wrote:
> Can I petition that the closing tags not being rendered also be fixed before
> 5.1?  Not only did it cause invalid html, but also it actually affected the
> rendering [...]

I seems quite important, but I believe it's not the good place for that
: just open a bug and after, put the link to it here - the T5 dev could
miss your post here, there is a lot of posts on this list.

Moreover, it seems that a 5.0.18 will come (and so that the 5.0.17 won't
be the GA). So I think it's quite possible that T5 dev includes a patch
for that issue, if only they know how important it is.

Just my 2(€)cents ;)

--
Francois Armand
Etudes & Développements J2EE