Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Mukul Ranjan <mr...@egain.com> on 2016/12/02 12:04:24 UTC

Increase in ByteBufferImpl class heap size in longevity run

Hi,

We ran longevity Load testing run for 96 hour in our application using lucene 5.5.2 for text search. We have observed that there is significant change in heap size of org.apache.lucene.store.ByteBufferIndexInput$SingleBufferImpl<mat://object/0x740b63a68>.

Size of this class increased from 7 MB to 15 MB from day1 to day4 for this class. We were adding some document in indexing in parallel. But we do not excepted to increase in size of this class that much.

Please suggest if this is expected behaviour or we are missing something in our code.

Thanks,
Mukul Ranjan

-----
Watch an eGain Try+Buy(tm) customer success video<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewEeyeqJRCE&feature=youtu.be/>

Re: Increase in ByteBufferImpl class heap size in longevity run

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
If you are actively indexing and opening new near-real-time readers,
the number of segments in your index will increase, which means the
number of open input files (corresponding to instances of
ByteBufferIndexInput.SingleBufferImpl) will be created.  So it's
expected its heap usage grows, but the growth should taper as Lucene
merges small segments into larger ones ...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com