Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Lowe <do...@earthlink.net> on 2014/09/25 17:41:25 UTC

Local Repo

Greetings

	I'm trying to set up a local repository for my schoolwork.  The book doesn't seem to have many examples with this type of setup, so i seem to be stumbling a bit.  First off, this part seemed to go okeh:

$ sudo svnadmin create /usr/local/svn/repos

	But then this bit doesn't:

$ sudo svn import -m "initial import" cashier.cpp file:////usr/local/svn/repos
Password:
svn: E150002: Path 'file:///usr/local/svn/repos' already exists

	How should i be going about this?

sent from Mountain Lion

Re: Local Repo

Posted by David Lowe <do...@earthlink.net>.
On 2014 Sep 25, at 8:47 AM, jblist@icloud.com wrote:

> Your command was trying to import 'cashier.cpp' into the repository as the name 'repos'.

	Thank you for your thorough explanation.

sent from Mountain Lion

Re: Local Repo

Posted by jb...@icloud.com.
Hi David,

I just noticed that you have four slashes on the beginning of your URL. Only three are needed for file-local URLs. FYI, file-local URLs look like this:

	file://localhost/path/to/file

Since "localhost" is assumed if missing, you can shorten it to this:

	file:///path/to/file

If you put "//" a the beginning of the file-path, you are specifying an absolute path rather than a relative path. But, since file URLs generally start from the root directory anyway you end up with the same object.

	file://localhost//path/to/file

degenerates to

	file:///path/to/file

-Joseph

On Sep 25, 2014, at 8:47 AM, jblist@icloud.com wrote:

> First, I wouldn't run svn as root like you are with 'sudo'. Instead, change the ownership of your repo so that you have write access.
>

> Your command was trying to import 'cashier.cpp' into the repository as the name 'repos'. You need to do this instead:
>
>   svn import -m "initial import" cashier.cpp file:////usr/local/svn/repos/cashier.cpp
>

> Import is usually used to bring a whole tree of files into a repository in one shot. Import does not create a working copy, so you will need to subsequently check out to begin using svn to track changes to your file.
>

> On Sep 25, 2014, at 8:41 AM, David Lowe <do...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Greetings
>>
>> 	I'm trying to set up a local repository for my schoolwork.  The book doesn't seem to have many examples with this type of setup, so i seem to be stumbling a bit.  First off, this part seemed to go okeh:
>>
>> $ sudo svnadmin create /usr/local/svn/repos
>>
>> 	But then this bit doesn't:
>>
>> $ sudo svn import -m "initial import" cashier.cpp file:////usr/local/svn/repos
>> Password:
>> svn: E150002: Path 'file:///usr/local/svn/repos' already exists
>>
>> 	How should i be going about this?
>>
>> sent from Mountain Lion

Re: Local Repo

Posted by jb...@icloud.com.