Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com> on 2021/09/04 14:40:44 UTC

Testing staged release

Hi,

It looks like "Guide to Testing Staged Releases" [1] is something outdated
and not consistent with "Performing a Maven Project Release" [2]

In [1] we have example with repository location like <url>
http://people.apache.org/~dfabulich/stage-repo</url>
but in [2] we heve staging repo as
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-[YOUR REPOSITORY
ID]/

[2] point to [1] so both pages should be consistent.

I also found that Apache Repository [3] contains two groups: Maven Staging
Group [4] and Staging [5].
Both of this group contains new staged items like last Apache Maven Javadoc
Plugin version 3.3.1

So I prepare config with additional profiles pointing to one of this staged
repository and I can perform tests for the new plugin.
It will be easier to have one configuration for all stages testing -
without changing stage id.

When I use properties for version in project and have stage profile I can
simply run like

   mvn -P apache-stage -Dmaven-javadoc-plugin.version=3.3.1 javadoc:javadoc

without additional configuration.

Now questions:
 1. Can I use one of those repositories for testing staged releases (which
is preferred)?
 2. What is different in contend in Maven Staging Group [4] and Staging [5]?
 3. Are staged repository groups [4], [5]  cleaned - if yes when?

[1] https://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
[2]
https://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html
[3] https://repository.apache.org/#view-repositories
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/maven-staging-group/
[5] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

--
Sławomir Jaranowski

https://twitter.com/SlawekJaran
https://github.com/slawekjaranowski
https://linkedin.com/in/slawomirjaranowski

Re: Testing staged release

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Does anybody from infrastructure team can share knowledge about
configurations for:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/maven-staging-group/
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

and confirm that, it can be used for testing staged maven plugins

Maybe I should ask on some different  mailing list, create ticket ...

Re: Testing staged release

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
good catch