Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/05/12 15:19:48 UTC

thoughts on more frequent releases

Hi,

Now that we are geting the infratstructure in place, I'd like to start
discussing working towards more frequent releases. It should be made so
easy as to be trivial early in alpha-3, and then we can publish
unofficial releases - nightlies, or perhaps weekly integration builds
that are better tested. This should help focus on constant quality also
as we draw towards the beta stages in and encourage more users to try
recent builds, without requiring them to bootstrap.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Thoughts on how to make it work best?

Cheers,
Brett

Re: thoughts on more frequent releases

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: thoughts on more frequent releases

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 5/12/05, Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's really an good thing to do. I don't hesitate to use alpha
> release but don't bootstrap from svn as plugin are not in sync with
> the core for example...

Sorry I mean the "core" nigthly release are not in sync with plugin...

Nicolas

Re: thoughts on more frequent releases

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 5/12/05, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote:

> [...]

For the maven team you will find a tester and I will happy to help

> > Anyone have any opinions on this? Thoughts on how to make it work best?
>
> I like it. We need to have a strong automated test suite to make this work
> (improving it systematically as bugs are discovered).
>
> One idea: a way to automatically update an installed Maven core. Plugins can
> be upgraded automatically. Now it would be nice if a maven install could
> also be upgraded. Something like (m2 -upgrade). That would help I think.

Really really good idea Vincent and this is avaible for Maven 1 too

Nicolas,

RE: thoughts on more frequent releases

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Thanks