Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Alexey Toptygin <al...@freeshell.org> on 2006/01/13 22:44:57 UTC

module loading code

I've been reading the module loading code, and I must ask: why are there
still 2 module lists (ap_top_module and ap_loaded_modules) in 2.2? Since
AddModule went away in 2.0.11, I can understand keeping them both
for binary compat in 2.0, but are they needed now? Can the autogenerated
ap_prelinked_modules and ap_preloaded_modules ever turn out different any
more? Does it matter, considering ap_add_named_module is gone so nothing
on the prelinked list can ever be promoted to the active list?

AFAICT, it should be possible to remove ap_top_module, and change its
users to iterate over ap_loaded_modules; and remove ap_prelinked_modules;
and simplify all of the add/remove/init modules logic, since it doesn't
need to keep 2 lists any more.
Is this a good idea? Am I missing something?

Anyway, the references to AddModule in build/build-modules-c.awk and
modules/mapper/mod_so.c should probably go away.

 			Alexey