Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Reich, Matthias" <ma...@siemens.com> on 2007/07/18 10:31:22 UTC

Tomcat 6.0.13 - NPE in AprEndpoint run method

Hi,

When sending requests to Tomcat during the startup phase, I got a NPE in
the AprEndpoint run method, line 1495:

 getPoller().add(socket);

This can happen because in the start method, the pollers are initialized
after the acceptor threads already have been started so that the
getPoller() call can either run into a NPE itself (if the pollers array
is not yet initialized) or return null (if pollers[pollerRoundRobin] is
not yet initialized.

Thus, I think the error can easily be prevented by starting the
acceptors after initializing the pollers.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: Fwd: Tomcat 6.0.13 - NPE in AprEndpoint run method

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> When sending requests to Tomcat during the startup phase, I got a NPE in
> the AprEndpoint run method, line 1495:
>
>  getPoller().add(socket);
>
> This can happen because in the start method, the pollers are initialized
> after the acceptor threads already have been started so that the
> getPoller() call can either run into a NPE itself (if the pollers array
> is not yet initialized) or return null (if pollers[pollerRoundRobin] is
> not yet initialized.
>
> Thus, I think the error can easily be prevented by starting the
> acceptors after initializing the pollers.

Yes, there's no reason to start the accept thread first.

Rémy

Fwd: Tomcat 6.0.13 - NPE in AprEndpoint run method

Posted by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tomcat Developers:

We faced this issue today, and this is preventing us from moving to
Tomcat 6.0.13.

Should I file a bug report ? Would sending a patch help ? Or is the
issue something else ?

-- Sriram