Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rachael Blank <bl...@mars-systems.com> on 2002/03/11 21:28:32 UTC

Acrobat 5.0 Error

Hello!

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

I know this is not exactly an FOP issue, but will be very helpful to the
folks who are already in a production environment.

I have a user running WIN NT and views FOP-generated PDFs in Acrobat 5.0
within Internet Explorer.

When she opens the PDF, she receives the error:
File does not begin with  :%PDF...

She receives a dialog box then clicks OK and gets a blank screen.  In our
offices, we are able to view the same documents in Acrobat 5.0 with no
problem.

At this time, I think it is a problem on the user's PC.  I am hoping someone
has seen this type of problem before.  I am able to see that, on my
computer, the PDF starts with :%PDF.   Why is her Acrobat interpreting it
differently?

Thanks!

Rachael

P.S.  I also had her try the option to NOT view it in the browser.  I had no
success with this either.

Re: Acrobat 5.0 Error

Posted by "David B. Bitton" <da...@codenoevil.com>.
How is the PDF being served to the user?  Is it coming from an ASP page and being Response.BinaryWrite'ed?  The best work around that I'm using for this problem is this:

I persist the file on the server, then send this to the browser:

<script language="javascript">
<!--
    window.location.href='<%=path%>'
//-->
</script>

This way, IE will go fetch the file itself.  If you are using IIS, save the docs in their own folder, then go into the IIS setting, and enable content expiration (it's on the HTTP Headers tab) just for that folder and set it to expire immediately.  If you don't do this, IE will keep pulling the PDF from it's cache if you re-use filenames.

:)

--

David B. Bitton
david@codenoevil.com