Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/06 19:28:20 UTC

Eager fetching not working with enums and lobs

I am finding that the supposed default action of Eager fetching is not
happening with @Enumerated and @Lob fields.  If I explicitly specify the
@Basic annotation, then the fields are eagerly fetched.  But, without this
extraneous @Basic, these fields are lazily loaded.  This action does not
seem to be consistent with the spec.  Nor, can I find any mention of this
alternate behavior in our OpenJPA manual.  Sounds like a bug to me.  Any
other insights?

This works (eager loading kicks in):

    @Basic @Enumerated(EnumType.STRING)
    private Gender gender;

This does not work (lazy loading kicks in):

    @Enumerated(EnumType.STRING)
    private Gender gender;

I have also tried to use defaults (without any annotations), and lazy

    private Gender gender;

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Eager fetching not working with enums and lobs

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Sounds like a bug to me.

Craig

On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:28 AM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> I am finding that the supposed default action of Eager fetching is not
> happening with @Enumerated and @Lob fields.  If I explicitly
> specify the
> @Basic annotation, then the fields are eagerly fetched.  But,
> without this
> extraneous @Basic, these fields are lazily loaded.  This action
> does not
> seem to be consistent with the spec.  Nor, can I find any mention
> of this
> alternate behavior in our OpenJPA manual.  Sounds like a bug to
> me.  Any
> other insights?
>
> This works (eager loading kicks in):
>
>    @Basic @Enumerated(EnumType.STRING)
>    private Gender gender;
>
> This does not work (lazy loading kicks in):
>
>    @Enumerated(EnumType.STRING)
>    private Gender gender;
>
> I have also tried to use defaults (without any annotations), and lazy
>
>    private Gender gender;
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Eager fetching not working with enums and lobs

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
So, none of us like it, but should we do it?  :-)  I decided to ping Mike
Keith (co-lead of the spec) about this.  Here's what he said...

You are correct. Lobs are to be treated like other Basic attributes and
should default to EAGER. Your colleague is somewhat justified in that lobs
can be costly to load, however, once we put lobs under the category of basic
mappings we needed to be consistent and have them use the same defaults. If
they are expected to be both large and not referenced often then
@Basic(fetch=LAZY) should be used. Note that if one of these is not true
then you probably do want them to be eagerly loaded.

-Mike

So, it sounds like we need to change the default behavior to be EAGER.  I'll
add the necessary remarks to the JIRA Issue and pursue the proper fix.
Thanks for the discussion!

Kevin

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Ok, I don't like it either.

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: Eager fetching not working with enums and lobs

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: Eager fetching not working with enums and lobs

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
I have opened JIRA Issue 281 (

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Craig,