Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2012/07/13 10:23:55 UTC

Re: Controllers redirections do 302

I will hopefully soon work on that. My last ideas are to

1. Use 303 has default being defined with a property in general.properties (or widget.properties?) to override for all OFBiz webapps
in case
2. Add an element in controller to be able to override in a sole controller. For instance you would want the 303 default for all
webapps but eCommerce where you want all redirects being 302. We could even refine more and have a type in this specific element. or
isntance use 302 only for url type and not simple redirects (to separate concerns about double-submit and SEO)

So everybosdy will be able to use it the way it suits him/her best.

I don't think a Jira is needed, else please say it know

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
> From: "Scott Gray" <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>
>> Unless I'm mistaken crawlers don't follow post urls, they only follow links so I doubt it would really matter from an SEO
>> perspective what code we used when doing a post redirect.  I really only commented to avoid a blanket change to 301 being
>> introduced.
>
> Thanks for your answer, I tend to lean more on a configurable setting (I called option 3, like the status-code attribute you
> suggested)
> Obviously the url response type is not related to the double submit issue. We use it in some place because it's an easy go
> compared with Front End rewrite rules (external to OFBIz) or even Tuckey (internal)
>
>> If you want to be able to do a permanent redirect then I'd consider naming them as such instead of using the response codes e.g.
>> request-redirect-permanent or url-permanent.
>>
>> Maybe an option is to allow a status-code attribute on the response element?  It could be used for a number of things even
>> outside of redirects.
>
> Yes those were the alternatives I was spkeaking about below. I did not think about use outside of redirects though, have you any
> ideas yet?
>
> My plan would be:
> 1) Change the default because 302 is horrible. Not sure what it should be yet, 303 seems the least problematic (over 301)
> 2) Choose between
>   a) "harcoded" names like request-redirect-permanent or url-permanent (we have also cross-redirect and request-redirect-noparam)
>   b) a status-code attribute on the response element
>        i) See if there are other uses for status-code than redirect response types
>
> So we still need to investigate for the default value and make a choose between a lot of type of redirect and a new status-code
> response attribute
>
> Jacques
>
>> Regards
>> Scott
>>
>> On 26/06/2012, at 10:03 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>>> I suggested initially to use the more open 3rd option, we could use 301, 302 and  303?
>>>
>>> For the difference between 301 vs 307 I think we can agree on : <<The difference between the two being that you shouldn't use
>>> the
>>> 307 as it is not understood by many agents. (simple ehy  )>>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 7/13/2012 9:23 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> I will hopefully soon work on that. My last ideas are to
>
> 1. Use 303 has default being defined with a property in
> general.properties (or widget.properties?) to override for all OFBiz
> webapps in case

url.properties

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
At this stage I believe it's best to discuss this in the Jira I created for that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5109
No needs to duplicate things

Jacques

From: "Paul Piper" <pp...@ilscipio.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mmm, not so clear when I re-read myself. I think I will open a Jira to clarify all points. :D

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>