Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no> on 2007/02/08 21:33:09 UTC

giving -Dpde=true to eclipse:eclipse doesn't work

Platform: Intel Pentium M, Ubuntu Dapper,
	  Sun Java 2 SDK 1.6.0_06,
	  maven 2.0.4,
	  maven-eclipse-plugin 2.3

I'm trying to use -Dpde=true to give modules plugin nature, ie.
	mvn eclipse:eclipse -Dpde=true
but that doesn't seem to work.

Ie. there is no plugin nature in .project, and .classpath still refers
to files directly in the local maven repository.

I noticed this bug
  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-195

But -Dpde=true doesn't work for me even when run directly in a project
that should get a plugin nature.  Or is the fact that it has a parent
POM enough to trigger the above bug?

Thanx!

- Steinar

Re: giving -Dpde=true to eclipse:eclipse doesn't work

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

>>> Platform: Intel Pentium M, Ubuntu Dapper,
>>> 	      Sun Java 2 SDK 1.6.0_06,
>>> 	      maven 2.0.4,
>>> 	      maven-eclipse-plugin 2.3

[snip!]
> But, of course, I'm not all there yet.  Because right now, I have a
> bunch of META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files containing nothing but
> Bundle-Classpath.  And I need a bit more to make these projects play
> as plug-ins.  At least:
>  - Bundle-Symbolic-Name
>  - Bundle-Version
> Possibly:
>  - Export-Package
>  - Import-Package
>  - Bundle-Activator

> That information is currently residing in the POMs as
> <manifestEntries> for maven-jar-plugin.  Duplicating it manually
> into the MANIFEST.MF files, seems like a bad idea.

As an experiment I unpacked the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files from the
projects' bundle incarnations.  And I still can't get it to work.  I
think it's a class-path issue.

The projects have, in their POMs, <dependency> elements referring
other OSGi bundles, that won't be practical to get into eclipse with
eclipse:eclipse and turn into PDE projects, in the workspace.

These bundles are put into the bundle-classpath by eclipse:eclipse
goal.  And the bundles in bundle-classpath doesn't seem to see bundles
in the PDE target platform.

The bundles also exists in the PDE target platform, but
eclipse:eclipse has no way of knowing that (no way of knowing the
bundle-symboliic-name/version-no tuple from the
groupId/artifactId/version-no tuple in the dependency... I don't know
if it tries, but if it did try, it would probably use
artifactId/version-no (that would be consistent with eg. the .project
file generated by eclipse:eclipse), and the bundles in question are
using groupId/version-no).

One error message of this kind I see, is
 The project was not built since its build path is incomplete. Cannot find the class file for org.osgi.framework.BundleActivator. Fix the build path then try building this project

So... I could probably get rid of the white-on-red-Xes, by using
eclipse:make-artifacts to put the eclipse runtime into my local maven
repository, and create dependencies to these bundles, and in that way
get them into the bundle-classpath.

But that seems like a serious hack, and defeating the use of OSGi
bundles in the first place.

So even if I could resolve the generation of MANIFEST.MF issues, I'm
guessing
	mvn eclipse:eclipse -Declipse.pde=true
is a dead end for me...?

Re: giving -Dpde=true to eclipse:eclipse doesn't work

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

>> Platform: Intel Pentium M, Ubuntu Dapper,
>> Sun Java 2 SDK 1.6.0_06,
>> maven 2.0.4,
>> maven-eclipse-plugin 2.3

[snip!]
>> Ie. there is no plugin nature in .project, and .classpath still refers
>> to files directly in the local maven repository.

> After the parameter name correction the .project and .classpath looks
> correct.  But no jars are copied to a project local directory, like
> the documentation says it should be.
> 	http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html

What happened, was that there was no META-INF/MANIFEST.MF in the
project directories, and that I got the following warning
 [WARNING] The references manifest file doesn't exist, plugin dependencies will not be updated: /media/sda8/bangste/p4/depot/ccr/MAIN/com.fastsearch.ccr.repository.repositorydef/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

I created the META-INF directories, containing empty MANIFEST.MF
files, and then had a bit more success.  Ie. the jars weren't copied,
but they were made <linkedResources> in the .project file (I'm not
sure what that means wrt. creating an RCP application containing these
plugin projects...?)

But, of course, I'm not all there yet.  Because right now, I have a
bunch of META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files containing nothing but
Bundle-Classpath.  And I need a bit more to make these projects play
as plug-ins.  At least:
 - Bundle-Symbolic-Name
 - Bundle-Version
Possibly:
 - Export-Package
 - Import-Package
 - Bundle-Activator

That information is currently residing in the POMs as
<manifestEntries> for maven-jar-plugin.  Duplicating it manually into
the MANIFEST.MF files, seems like a bad idea.

Any suggestions for automating this?

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

> Platform: Intel Pentium M, Ubuntu Dapper,
> 	  Sun Java 2 SDK 1.6.0_06,
> 	  maven 2.0.4,
> 	  maven-eclipse-plugin 2.3

> I'm trying to use -Dpde=true to give modules plugin nature, ie.
> 	mvn eclipse:eclipse -Dpde=true
> but that doesn't seem to work.

That's because it should have been
	mvn eclipse:eclipse -Declipse.pde=true

> Ie. there is no plugin nature in .project, and .classpath still refers
> to files directly in the local maven repository.

After the parameter name correction the .project and .classpath looks
correct.  But no jars are copied to a project local directory, like
the documentation says it should be.
	http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html

> I noticed this bug
>   http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-195

On a side note: that's probably not my bug/problem, because with 2.3 I
do get requiredPlugins set in classpath.