Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Igor Varfolomeev <i3...@mail.ru> on 2013/12/29 23:00:18 UTC

Almost repetitive repository corruption

Hi all,

I’ve just ran into a weird bug which damaged my svn repository. I still
don’t understand what exactly was wrong, so, I don’t know how to
describe it in a clear and simple manner, sorry… I’ll just try to describe
all the symptoms I’ve experienced. I’ll use real file names, since I
wasn’t able to reproduce this bug on synthetic test repository.

*SETUP*
Most simple single-user, single-PC setup. Local repository.
First svn version: “Subversion command-line client, version 1.8.5.”.
Windows 7 x64
Antivirus: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10

*THE STORY*
The story began, when I ran into some sort of error message, while
trying to commit r3349.
After a bit of struggling, I’ve realized, that my repository got broken
after previous commit (r3348). Nasty thing is that previous commit
finished without any error message.

*SYMPTOMS*
**svn verify**
Output ends like this:
<….>
* Verified revision 3346.
* Verified revision 3347.
svnadmin: E160004:
Corrupt node-revision '4d-610.2-2392.r3348/35659066'
svnadmin: E160004: Found malformed header '' in revision file

**svn checkout**
When I try to checkout a new working copy, I receive similar
message:
<…>
W:\testCO\Binar\Matlab\deploy
W:\testCO\Binar\Matlab\deploy\x64
W:\testCO\Binar\Matlab\deploy\x64\Binar_x64.prj
W:\testCO\Binar\Matlab\deploy\x64\Binar_x64
W:\testCO\Binar\Matlab\deploy\x64\Binar_x64\distrib
Corrupt node-revision '4d-610.2-2392.r3348/35659066'
Found malformed header '' in revision file

**svn Repository Browser**
When I navigate to
file:///V:/R_Matlab/Binar/trunk/Binar/Matlab/deploy/x64/Binar_x64
 in tortoise svn repository browser, I see the same error message:

Corrupt node-revision '4d-610.2-2392.r3348/35659066'
Found malformed header '' in revision file

Here’s a screenshot: http://sdrv.ms/1fJVuwa

*ZEROS IN DATA FILE*
Luckily, I have a full backup (r3337). I’ve manually repeated all my
commits up to r3347 and verified that at this state repository is OK.

Next, I’ve tried to reproduce the bug:

1.	Firstly (“try1”), I’ve repeated same Matlab commit script
        (Matlab simply calls svn, just like from cmd). And… «success»
        - same bug again!

2.	Secondly (“try3”), I’ve managed to reproduce the bug using
        only windows cmd commands.

3.	Thirdly (“try4” and “try5(0)”), I wrote a bat-script to
        reproduce the same actions.

I’ve compared
R_Matlab\db\revs\3\3348
file for different “tries”:  (initial bug is designated as “try0”) and
discovered a single interesting thing:
each “3348” file has a long sequence of zero-bytes:

•	try0: 0x2201B0A to 0x2201FFF

•	try1: 0x2201000 to 0x2201FFF
       o	try0_vs_try1_p1: http://sdrv.ms/Ju7nev
       o	try0_vs_try1_p2: http://sdrv.ms/Ju7tmu
       o	try0_vs_try1_p3: http://sdrv.ms/Ju7AOI

•	try3: 0x2201B11 to 0x2201FFF
       o	try0_vs_try3_p1: http://sdrv.ms/Ju7G9g
       o	try0_vs_try3_p2: http://sdrv.ms/Ju7HKd

•	try4: 0x2201000 to 0x2201FFF
       o	try0_vs_try4_p1: http://sdrv.ms/Ju7OFE
       o	try0_vs_try4_p2: http://sdrv.ms/Ju86MJ
       o	try0_vs_try4_p3: http://sdrv.ms/Ju89ID

•	try5(0): 0x2201000 to 0x2201FFF (just like try4).
       o	try0_vs_try5(0)_p1: http://sdrv.ms/1daKwjG
       o	try0_vs_try5(0)_p2: http://sdrv.ms/1daKxUx
       o	try0_vs_try5(0)_p3: http://sdrv.ms/Ju8iM5

Moreover, try4 and try5 have only one single difference, two zero-
bytes, starting from 0x21F9FFE (in case of “try5(0)”):
http://sdrv.ms/19jmBdm

*BUG DISAPPERED*
That’s all I have. 5 broken repositories. After that bug DISAPPEARED.
Just like a UFO :) . I’ve launched the SAME script, with the SAME
input data 10 more times (“try5(1)”,”try5(2)”…) – nothing – svn
correctly commits r3348, resulting repository is valid:

•	svn verify is OK

•	I’m able to see contents of
        “R_Matlab/Binar/trunk/Binar/Matlab/deploy/x64/Binar_x64”
        in tortoise svn repository browser

•	svn checkout is OK.

When I compare “revs\3348” for “try4” vs “try5(1)” the ONLY
difference is those long sequence of zero-bytes mentioned before:

•	try4_vs_try5(1)_p1: http://sdrv.ms/1edmEdV

•	try4_vs_try5(1)_p2: http://sdrv.ms/Ju8YkC

*REPRODUCTION SCRIPT*
The bat script, that resulted in error is quite straightforward. It simply
copies several files. It might be not a good idea to copy modified file
without committing it first, but still it should not result in error… The
bat file (used in try4) is here: http://sdrv.ms/19ld4FN
Another thing to mention is that size of files in 3348 commit is about
250 Mbytes….
To my shame, my repository is both large (~30GB) and containing
confidential data, so, I’m unable to share it :( .

All files mentioned above are in this folder: http://sdrv.ms/1jMN250

*LOKING FOR SIMILAR CASES*
Mainly, I’ve just googled “svn: Corrupt node-revision”. It looks like
this error message is quite common, but no one tried to understand
it’s source. Though, there’s a “what was that?” question
in [1](see link below).
Moreover, it looks like no one experienced “repetitive” behavior…
In some cases, issue was resolved by restoring revision files from
backup[1], or using svn dump/load [3,4]. In one report [2],
julian.foad <at> wandisco.com was using John Szakmeister's
'fsfsverify.py' to analyze corruption. Though, it looks like in his case,
corruption type was quite different. In one post [4], VinnyJames
said: “we've seen this happen during heavy load”.

1.
http://www.wandisco.com/svnforum/threads/38519-Commit-errors-Revision-files-corrupted

2.	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/123110

3.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5543285/how-do-i-fix-a-repository-with-one-broken-revision

4.
http://dev-notes-to-self.blogspot.com/2009/01/fixing-corrupt-subversion-repository.html?showComment=1280529811361#c6899551059356251422

*QUESTIONS*
So….
1.	What was that? Any ideas? May it happen again?
2.	Any other interesting diagnostic info I can get from these
repositories?
3.	Should I re-post this to subversion mailing list also? Or is it,
        most probably, dependent on tortoise somehow?
        Say, due to some caching?

*PS*
I’ve already posted the text above on tortoise svn mailing list:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3070808

and received a suggestion to re-post it here:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3070843

*PPS*
I’m not subscribed and would appreciate being explicitly Cc:ed in any responses.

Re: Almost repetitive repository corruption

Posted by Igor Varfolomeev <i3...@mail.ru>.
Thorsten Schöning <tschoening <at> am-soft.de> writes:

> Guten Tag Igor Varfolomeev,
> am Sonntag, 29. Dezember 2013 um 23:00 schrieben Sie:
>
> > Antivirus: Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10
> [...]
> > 1.      What was that? Any ideas? May it happen again?
>
> I would have a look on the (signature) updates for your Kaspersky, if
> some updates arrived just after your bug disappeared.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Thorsten Schöning

To my shame, this is SLIGHTLY possible. Kaspersky downloads something
every 2 hours.... So, signatures did had changed during these
experiments. Though, as I've already said on tortoise svn mailing list,

(
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3070904
)

that I doubt it was intentional blocking since:

1) There should be a popup

2) There should be corresponding records in "Reports"

3) There's an option to "Disinfect" (even to "auto-disinfect"), but
   I've disabled it, it never was allowed...

4) I've made an experiment: committed a "infected" file
   (see  http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html )
   to a repository and THEN
   allowed KEPS to scan it - no corruption happened.

5) Another experiment: when I try to commit same file with
   KEPS on - commit fails with "Can't open file" error in this case.

Of course, these two experiment proof nothing, but still, I doubt
that was intentional Kaspersky's behavior.

There might be some king of interference between svn and Kaspersky,
but, most possibly, it won't depend on signatures. Moreover,
in case there would be such interference, I think, I won't be
the first to ran into it....

Re: Almost repetitive repository corruption

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Igor Varfolomeev,

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

RE: Almost repetitive repository corruption

Posted by Igor Varfolomeev <i3...@mail.ru>.

[Igor Varfolomeev]

> Are all the drives in your test scenario local harddisk or are some network
> drives involved?

Only local HDDs.

> Did you make sure you restored the db\rep-cache.db in every step. (This
> may make difference then you expected)

*COPY PROCESS*
Hm... I've simply copied all files from source (r3347) repository to a new folder
to create an "experimental repository" (independently for each "try")..
Source repository was not accessed anyhow during copy process...
For "try1".."try4" I did it manually, during "try5(0)" there was an
"xcopy" command built in bat-script:

http://sdrv.ms/JqqVRL

and xcopy finished as it should:

http://sdrv.ms/JqrlYf

*SVNADMIN VERIFY*
Also, during "try4" and "try5(0)",before real job, "experimental repositories"
were verified with "svnadmin verify"(to be sure they are copied OK):

http://sdrv.ms/Jqrpav

In case if "rep-cache.db" is damaged, would "svnadmin verify" detect it?

*REP-CACHE.DB DIFF*
I've just compared "db\rep-cache.db" for "try5(0)" and "try5(1)"
(i.e. last broken vs first valid) and they are equal...

*COPY LOG DIFF*

The only interesting thing I've mentioned, when comparing logs for
"try5(0)" http://sdrv.ms/JqrlYf  and
"try5(1)" http://sdrv.ms/1dlXwTv

is that in first case "db\rev-prop-atomics.mutex" was also copied.
http://sdrv.ms/1dlWV4o

Though, there's no such file either in source or in target dir now...
Its temporary, isn't it?

PS
Still, all files mentioned above are here: http://sdrv.ms/1jMN250

Best regards,
Varfolomeev Igor

RE: Almost repetitive repository corruption

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.