Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/05/05 01:29:48 UTC

Struts Release - contrib missing

The last "ga" Struts release (i.e. version 1.2.4) was done from CVS and the
contents of the "contrib" folder were shipped in the source distribution.
Since then we have moved to SVN and re-organised the repository and the only
thing now included in the 1.2.x source distribution are the "el tags".

Since I haven't used anything from "contrib" I'm pretty neutral about
including any of it, but given that some people may have done, do we want to
include any or all of the things that we previously shipped?

Struts 1.2.4 included the following in "contrib" (as well as Struts-el)

/artimus
/scaffold
/struts-chain
/struts-faces
/struts-jericho
/tag-doc
/workflow

For "el" I believe James did something "smart" in SVN so that when the
STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH is checked out it includes the "el" sub-project's
STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH - we would probably want something similar for any of the
remainder that we want to include?

I know some people have built stuff around struts-chain - so I think there
is a case for including that - from the sandbox  STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH -
anything else?

Niall

Re: Struts Release - contrib missing

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Also now added an SVN externals definition so that struts-faces is included
in the core/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH - its being pulled in from faces/trunk
sub-project, following a conversation with Craig McClanahan.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I've added an SVN externals definition so that struts-chain is included in
the core/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH - its being pulled in from
sandbox/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH/struts-chain

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Michael,

I take your point, but in the (CVS) past all we had was a contrib directory
which we just "dumped" into the source distro. However now (in SVN) we have
a much more flexible repository and some of the things that were in
"contrib" are now sub-modules and are on their own path to release. For
example "struts-faces", "struts-el" and "struts-flow" are now modules "el",
"faces" and "flow" and "struts-chain" is now incorporated into the "core" -
you can download nightly builds of all these here:

http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/nightly/

...and at some point they will have their own release and distros. Other
things that were in "contrib" are currently in the "sandbox" and they face
the evolutionary test - either they'll survive and get promoted or they will
go the "extinction" route. At this point in time (before any 1.3.x releases)
I think its a case of making a sensible judgement between compatibility with
previous releases and not worrying too much about what was in large part
"sandbox" code. For anyone where this is an issue, then all of these things
are still available through the SVN repository.

Niall

Just as a point of personal preference, it seems like removing massive
feature sets from a 1.x.x release is a little misleading.  But I don't
use any of those libraries in a production app, so I can't say it
wouldn't really impact me.
Michael

Posted by Michael Rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com>.