Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Pete Johnson <pj...@verizon.net> on 2013/08/15 18:04:12 UTC

Variable speed CPUs

Hi,
I have build a small private cloud for an R&D project for one of my clients.  I have 3 hosts each with 16gb memory and 8 cores (AMD) per host.    I’m using Cloudstack 4.1 and hosts are Ubuntu 12.04 w/KVM.   These CPUs can vary clock speeds based on bios settings which is enabled.  The Cloudstack dashboard correctly estimates the CPU clock speed at its MAX of 3500 MHz.  But, when I log onto the guests and run virt-top it says 1400MHz which I assume is its current throttled down clock speed.  I am still setting things up and have not had the chance to put the hosts under enough load to see of it clocks up.  My questions are:  Does Cloudstack support viewable clocked CPUs in hosts? How does Cloudstack support variable clocked hosts from a real-time capacity load perspective and a usage perspective.
Thanks
Pete Johnson

Re: Variable speed CPUs

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Jithin, I have just tested this against my production setup running 4.1.1
on Ubuntu 12.04 w/ KVM, my mistake, the clockspeed of the service offering
does not get passed to KVM. However, if the clockspeed of the service
offering is higher than the host (3500Mhz in your case Pete), then the VM
will not boot.

Pete are correct in thinking that Cloudstack will assume 3.5Ghz regardless
of its actual clockspeed, this makes no difference as some processors do
this anyway with no effect to applications.

Thanks,
Marty

Re: Variable speed CPUs

Posted by Jithin Raju <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pete,

Re: Variable speed CPUs

Posted by Pete Johnson <pj...@verizon.net>.

Re: Variable speed CPUs

Posted by Jithin Raju <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marty,

Re: Variable speed CPUs

Posted by Pete Johnson <pj...@verizon.net>.
So I ran the lshw -C CPU command. it says the capacity is 3500MHz and the
size is 1400MHz.  Not sure what size means.  But, per your comments and the
fact that I have a 2 - core 2GHz guest running on it implies its looking at
the capacity rather then size.

So you are saying that Cloudstack/KVM will assume it’s a 3500MHz processor
regardless of its actual clock speed in real-time?

- Pete

Re: Variable speed CPUs

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Re: Variable speed CPUs