Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2016/03/11 21:56:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Email notifications for JIRA cases

I’d like to discuss the channels we use for notifying changes to JIRA cases. Currently[1], you will receive a notification for just about every change to a JIRA if you subscribe to issues@ (but only 18 people do)[2]. You will also receive a notification if you are the reporter or assignee.

I propose that when a JIRA is created, we send an email to both dev@ and issues@. This will be an extra 40 emails per month on the dev list. I am really cautious about increasing the number of messages on the dev list, because I think high-volume lists discourage part-time contributors, but I think this change is worthwhile. It will make people aware of conversations that are happening and if it helps to channel conversations onto JIRA cases it could possibly even REDUCE the volume on the dev list.

Julian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/CALCITE/notifications <https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/CALCITE/notifications>

[2] Email stats:
* issues: 18 subscribers, 300 emails per month
* commits: 18 subscribers, 140 emails per month
* dev: 173 subscribers, 150 emails per month

Re: [DISCUSS] Email notifications for JIRA cases

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Since we’re in agreement, I’ve changed the policy, and you should start seeing an email each time an issue is created. If a particular issue is of interest, add yourself to its ‘watchers’ list, otherwise you won’t hear any more about it.

I hope we never become a “popular project” if the measure of such a project is a crushing volume of emails. Let’s do what we can do keep the traffic on the dev list reasonable. If anyone has any further ideas how to achieve that, let’s discuss.

Julian

Re: [DISCUSS] Email notifications for JIRA cases

Posted by Rajat Venkatesh <rv...@qubole.com>.
Support Jesse Yates view. I find the JIRA volume too high on popular
projects. I like to focus on discussions and forcing me to add a filter is
an irritation. Though I'll do it if I have to. For JIRAs I care about, I'll
watch them. Also I am happy to search for JIRAs before starting a
discussion.

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 I'm a fan of the issue creation hitting dev@. Makes me not feel so
bad if I ignore issues@ for a while.

Posted by Dan <da...@dankeeley.co.uk>.
+1

In my experience reading jira and tracking it is the single most effective
way to keep up to speed on a project.

It also highlights the ways people use the product.. often in ways
developers didn't envisage and that's where the fun comes in.

Dan

Sent from my phone